AC compressor leaking oil

Billyvannuys

After months of detective work and frustration, I've pinpointed the fluid leak (about a drop of oil or two every-other day) in my '92 vert to a collar joint (my term) in the AC compressor. GM dealers will not work on this car. They say it is too old.  Luckily, a mechanic friend recognizes car already converted to 134-A refrigerant, so, no drastic measures needed to replace compressor.New, genuine GM compressor on the way. If this car had needed the whole R-12 to 134-A refrigerant conversion, I'm afraid it was going to be "curtains" for this vert. So, the show goes on. I'll post follow-up when new compressor is in.

And here all this time ive been wanting to pull the condenser and lines to make room for a front mount trans cooler and intercooler..

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Air conditioning is a reason to scrap a car?

I think Billy has had so many problems from the beginning with his car that he's close to the last straw.  Sounds like he's sunk a lot of money with very little enjoyment in return.  He's never really had a chance to enjoy it before things started breaking.  

But no, A/C is no reason to scrap a car.  Get that crap fixed and enjoy your ride Billy

But no, A/C is no reason to scrap a car.  Get that crap fixed and enjoy your ride Billy

My daily driver has no power steering and the engine is literally held in by bolts. The bushings on the mounts are all but done at this point, and yet I still drive it. 

So no, A/C is no reason to scrap a car. 

Guys I live in the desert. Hits 115-120 sometimes here. I'm 58, and beat from 35 years of construction work. If I had no AC here, car essentially undriveable for me or wife. So, it's going to be fixed. Even a top mechanic at a shop missed the AC leak. Everyone thought it was power steering pump. I "Just had feeling" that I could find it today, and got the flashlight to reflect on the oil trail streaming down the crossmember, followed that to those little ribbed wire enclosure tubes, realized it had to fall on them from above, saw some oil under AC unit, wiped it off, started car and shined flashlight, and there it was, fluid pulsing in and out like blowing spit bubbles with your mouth coming from that junction between the two cylindrical AC housing sections.

The car actually runs well but I can't stand a leaking car, either. Now, I hope I'll be able to move on with fixing the other stuff- new top, small brake isssues, few dings in body and paint, those damned rubber pieces around rear side windows, etc. I'm still here, still playing and paying. It's too late now to bitch that this car sat too long and a lot of complicated stuff dried-out and needed replacing. Most of it is replaced now. Because it only has 77,000 miles on it, it's still young in some ways. Like someone said, I've never really had a chance to enjoy this car. it's been15 months of putting out fires.

I'm still here. I'm also a full-time university student finishing my degree and beginning a late, second career as a special-ed teacher. That takes most of my time. Yeah, a lot of you guys rebuild all of your own cars. I'm not going to do that. I'll pay to have it done. But at some point, I'd just like a break from it and just want have fun using it. You guys inspire and help me. I've read more about this car than any car I've ever had. Let's see how this all works out a year from now.

Edited by Billyvannuys

I knew you some of you guys would likely give me a hard time about this post, but, I still shared what I learned and what I'm doing. I just thought this car seemed rare, fun, and quirky and it was an old convertible. That's why I bought it. I didn't want a Mustang or a Camaro. It just turned-out the car is a little quirkier than I realized -at least from my rear-drive, V-8 point of view.

• Like 3

My brother has lived in Lancaster for 30+ years.  I've been there countless times and I know it's stinking hot out there.  Good on ya for going the distance with your car.  You won't regret it once the bugs are worked out.  BTW, there used to be a bar in Lancaster called the Calico Saloon and Dance Hall.  My dad and uncle owned that place.  It closed in the late 90's and now its called the Calico Saloon and Grill.  Ever been there?

I knew you some of you guys would likely give me a hard time about this post, but, I still shared what I learned and what I'm doing. I just thought this car seemed rare, fun, and quirky and it was an old convertible. That's why I bought it. I didn't want a Mustang or a Camaro. It just turned-out the car is a little quirkier than I realized -at least from my rear-drive, V-8 point of view.

Sounds almost word for word what I was saying when I bought my '95 LQ1 convertible.  I drove mine for 7 years...

...then bought an 88 5.7 TPI IROC-Z.

:dance:

Cutlass Granny's

Washed the car a few days ago.