What gauge power wire is needed to run 2 amps..

Demone24

I have a question and any input would be greatly appreciated.. in a 2 amp set up 1 amp requires a 4 gauge wire and the other requires a 8 gauge. What size wire should I run from the battery to power distribution block?

I have a question and any input would be greatly appreciated.. in a 2 amp set up 1 amp requires a 4 gauge wire and the other requires a 8 gauge. What size wire should I run from the battery to power distribution block?

I would think 4 would be fine. Maybe go bigger if you have doubts but you shouldn't need a huge wire. I think the wire coming off the alternator is an 8 gauge...? That's transporting 75 or so amps. Do some further research but 4 should be fine

Depends also on wether you're running a stiffening cap. It would be far more useful to know what the expected current draw of each is. Without any more info I would also think 4 to be sufficient, being the smaller amp should be mids and highs and not run to capacity like the one with the subs but when in doubt blatant overkill is the answer.

I'd say 4 at a minimum. Recommend 2 gauge. I just did a multiamp install in my car and ran 2 gauge amp wire to the distribution block and 4 gauge to the amps with 4 gauge grounds. Did this after talking with the car audio dudes near me. I'm running a mono block amp for subs and a 4 channel for the mids and highs. 4 gauge should be good up till 1000 watts.

• 6 months later...

U have to add up the fuses, say if ur amp has two 30amp fuses u are going to need to supply a dependable 60 amps and at least the same size fuse at the bat. I would definetly run a min.of 2 guage and a power cap so your lights wont dim assuming u are not doing the big three upgrade (youtube it). A real quality 1000k amp pulling a 1ohm max load will for sure tax the heck out of alternator without a cap or a high current setup.