New to me 1996 Grand Prix SE, need thoughts

Calvinator

All good.... I'll keep the updates coming. Respect all opinions. I am on many other forums, each has their hot topics:

Jeeps --- mods, wheels, tires.

Chevy truck -- engine hacks vs. the correct repairs to keep the trucks running.

Boats --- show and shine, and then all the topics on keeping the motors running.

House forums --- all the 'old timer ways to fix things and how improper wiring will burn down the house.

So far I've learned w-body likes stock cars with some mods.... and, something about lower valence must be in place or your transmission will fail.

Don't forget the term "first gen" is taboo around these parts. Hahahaha. But seriously, it's your car so don't worry about it. My 94 vert has 19s on it and is getting murdered out.

Welcome! My favorite body style of the GP's. Im on my second one. Running like a champ! I'd add polished wheels, wider tires, tint the windows and just leave it alone but what do I know.. lol

3d2116c7be9d8824351fc051e96f932d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome! My favorite body style of the GP's. Im on my second one. Running like a champ! I'd add polished wheels, wider tires, tint the windows and just leave it alone but what do I know.. lol

Any recommendation for a wider tire that is known to fit?  I have the stocker 225/60R16. 

Any recommendation for a wider tire that is known to fit? I have the stocker 225/60R16.

I've got BFG 255 50 16 mounted on the wheels pictured. They rub sometimes a bit in the rear when there is a lot of weight in the back on big dips. I am switching over to a 245 series tire here soon. Probably a 245 50 16. I've ran the 255 for 3 summers already and the rubbing was just a little annoying. Your kid is probably going to have friends riding him so I wouldn't go that wide. They look pretty bad ass though lol

For a 16x6, which is the factory wheel, 245/50R16 would be a nice fitting tire. I personally run 245/40R19 tires and I have no rubbing but my wheel size is 19x7.5 iirc

Thanks for the tire info.  I do like the wider/bulging sidewall look.

I have a lot of testing to do.  I bought these 17" Center Line wheels 5x115 42mm offset for a great price, but sounds like I need to see if they clear calipers.  I also want the wheels to be flush with the fenders.  I'll need wheel spacers-adapters.  Lots of measuring and test fitting to do!

Center Line Wheels Nitro 2 17x7

If you still want a wide tire, you can go with a 245/50/R17 and it will keep your odometer accurate, assuming you have a 225/60R16 wheel and tire set.

• 2 months later...

Welcome! Really like your 95. I own the same car in red. I like your Pioneer DIN radio. I had the exact radio in my 88 olds calais. Tried to find another for my 95 SE but no luck. Looking good.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a little late to the party on this one.

For tires.  I wouldn't really worry about tire sizes, just keep to within <4% if you go a little too small, it's not like the car will depreciate if because you're putting an extra 3% miles on it every year, and it might save your son a speeding ticket or two.

I have the exact same engine in my car.  245 is a little fat for 7" rims.  Just sayin'..  Perhaps I haven't really noticed piston slap on mine, exhaust note is pretty sweet.

If the window is going off track it's mainly because the tabs that keep it where it belongs have worn down.  Only option is replacement window.  A buddy got me a great door thingy at the yard, best of luck finding an intact one.

The one thing that I would really recommend is replacing the Aux post.  It's a little bit of a pain, the factory one is Zinc and the GM OEM replacement is brass, let me know if you need the P/N.  They tend to get nuked from the inside out and then cause a myriad of electrical gremlins, including that damn ABS light.  Hopefully your son will feel lucky.  Great that it's southern car.  Doors are a complete mess in the cold winter months, snapping handles, door seals freezing, etc.

Rich, are you talking about the little plastic tabs that are attached to the windows, and sit in the tracks?  Years ago, I had that problem with a Grand Am, the dealer had replacement plastic tabs...the only hard part was soaking them in cold water for a period of time, then install them, and pop the window back in place.  Assuming the tracks themselves aren't bad, and our cars use those, I think it cost me less than $10.00 to fix that one.

I could be mistaken, but the tabs appear to be moulded into the window.  Not sure about GA ones.  I still have a passenger window in the basement that I could take a picture of.  Not sure if they are really replaceable, it's more like need a new window territory.

Fwiw I don't think the Grand Prix ones are as easy, but when we lost one in the van, it was literally $10 for a pair and took about 10 minutes to replace.

Fwiw I don't think the Grand Prix ones are as easy, but when we lost one in the van, it was literally $10 for a pair and took about 10 minutes to replace.

Dude!!  When did you get a van??

Dude!!  When did you get a van??

Christmas time. Borrowed it from my grandparents to fix the Jeep, sold the Jeep, gave us a good deal on the van since they decided it was a good time/reason to get a new one

I could be mistaken, but the tabs appear to be moulded into the window. Not sure about GA ones. I still have a passenger window in the basement that I could take a picture of. Not sure if they are really replaceable, it's more like need a new window territory.

They're not molded, they're glued on. It's a common N body problem actually. I changed my clips on my old 03 Grand Am. It's not a fun job, you have to unbolt what's left of the clip from the window regulator

They're not molded, they're glued on. It's a common N body problem actually. I changed my clips on my old 03 Grand Am. It's not a fun job, you have to unbolt what's left of the clip from the window regulator

We're talking GP here.  Like I said, don't know about GA, and for the most part don't really care.

When my window was acting like it was off track, the track and tabs were fine, but my window wasn't staying in the track itself. Some strong doublestick foam tape in the track and the pressure of keeping the window up have taken care of it for the past 2 years.

We're talking GP here. Like I said, don't know about GA, and for the most part don't really care.

Of course but GM doesn't change build techniques depending on the car. They used the same window motor on all their regulators and those regulators were riveted to the door. Most GM regulators look like a scissor with 2 holes on top where that molding bolts on and most of them have a thick glue that keep em in the window. Now if I mentioned a Geo Prizm I could see why it would be irrelevant but like I said, GM isn't known to develop different ways to build a car depending on the line.

• 2 months later...

Update

Finished up the car in June.  My son has been driving all summer with no issues.  Nice car, pretty peppy driving, and I like the styling of these cars -- unique.

Other repairs:

new parking brake cables

junkyard window regulators

some LED bulbs

new rear hubs

flowmaster 40 exhaust

12" bazooka bass tube in trunk

I kept the centerline wheels. 17x7 with 38mm offset. 

For stance and clearance, 1.25" wheel spacers added to all wheels.

new BFG 235/50R17 g-force comp-2 A/S tires

Hood painted Eastwood satin hot rod black.

Dodge challenger strobe hood graphic in gloss black.

Rear quarter panel has a camaro strobe graphic in matte black.

The Monte Carlo is my other son's can.  2002 Monte Carlo SS Highsport.

And my car is the Trans Am WS6 convertible.

Pic with the boys in it.  I let them drive it.  I have lots of leverage with the boys by giving them access to nice cars.  They are respectful and responsible young men. 

20170730 193621 HDR resized

20170730 193559 resized