Upper/HighBrake Light

stuhrling

Never seen that bulb in a w-body personally, but you can find LED ones everywhere. superbrightleds, ebay, etc. Take your pick.

You've never changed the CHMSL bulb?  Maybe just the roof-mounted CHMSLs have them.

The Cutlass Verts have them too and that 891 bulb is expensive as fuck. Home Depot sells a version of that bulb, I believe it's T4 that is plug and play and is half of what the parts store would want for one bulb.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

(I copied this from my other third brake light post)

I was just choking on $10/bulb x 3 for the third brake light.  I purchased 3 NOS GE 891 bulbs ($5/ea) and then one of them clouded up instantly and and is dimmer than the other two...  Now I am re-considering my options.

The 891 bulb spec is G4 Base 8W / 138Lumens.  And these little boogers get HOT!

Anybody tried the Philips 10W Equivalent Bright White (3000K) T3 Landscape Capsule LED Light Bulb with 105 Lumens from Home Depot for $5.97/ea?  Or the 20W version with 195 Lumens, same price?

Or Albrillo G4 LED Bulb Dimmable 1.5W, 20 Watt Halogen Bulbs Equivalent, AC DC 12V, Warm White, 4 Pack from Amazon for $15?  These were reviewed as being small and fitting tight/original spaces better than most LED versions.

I have the home Depot bulbs in my car, have had no problems with it.

Did you use the Philips LED or the traditional Halogen glass bulb from Home Depot?

Why would you replace CHMSL bulbs?

The high-mounted stop lights were a fraud from the beginning.  The NHTSA web site used to admit that, but then they removed the evidence once they got some junk-science to replace the truth with.

Did you use the Philips LED or the traditional Halogen glass bulb from Home Depot?

I used the traditional halogen bulb. T4 or T5 iirc.

Why would you replace CHMSL bulbs?

The high-mounted stop lights were a fraud from the beginning. The NHTSA web site used to admit that, but then they removed the evidence once they got some junk-science to replace the truth with.

Legality issues. You can't pass inspection without the CHMSL and you can actually get pulled over for it.

I personally feel with the idiots out in today's world the CHMSL helps, especially when the dimwitted drivers drive around with burnt out tail bulbs

Sent from my Moto G4 Plus using Tapatalk