1989 Cutlass International Serial Data Line contents/ origin

5stevo4

Anyone know if DIC gauges (volts, temp, tach) are all transported by serial data line? All were reading fine up until a week ago. Now corrupted info, also lost gauge cluster digilog tach at same time. 

Yes, M terminal on ALDL connector. I believe the DIC tachometer gauge data is sent via this orange line, what about the battery volts and coolant temp guages on the DIC? Also the digilog gauage cluster tach. Do all of these use the serial data line?

do me a favor. 

Go to the FAQ section and look at the writeup I did.

titled 

Cutlass DIS installation info

I bumped it so that it would be easy to find.
Should help you a bit.
I also wondered if the DIS you have is original or was added later
FYI the FAQ section is above the general section on the main forum page
Edited by rockfangd

Thanks rockfangd & Imp 558. That pin out is not in my manual and gives me more tests to do to track down why corrupted DIC gauges volts, tach and coolant temp are not working. And lost digilog tach at same time so there must be something in common. I know its not the gauge cluster because tach does its startup display of 0-max rpm and back to 0. Your pin out also reminded me of the DIC fuel level sensor periodically alarming for low fuel level even if tank is full. Great info. BTW, I listed this car for sale here with a couple of pics if anyone is interested. 

yeah, and everything was working great until about 3 weeks ago when I lost gauge cluster tach and DIC gauges. The car is listed in the for sale section if you want to see it. Cant figure out how to attach pics to these posts. links above this type dont seem to work. Would like to attach 4 pics of interior

Unfortunately, CD doesn't play. Been planning to open it up to see about fixing it. Used to do that for a living. Also, its not original. Got it from another Cutlass at junkyard. Original was a cassette player.

The picture of the UB3 display shows the moment when the key is turned on and it is doing its initial diagnostic test. You can see that the tach is displaying max rpm. Right after I took the picture it went back to zero. This tells me that the gauge cluster is ok and that the reason the tach is not working is because its not receiving rpm data. What say you?

Also notice the climate control system is not displaying. after a couple of minutes it will come on slowly, on/off on/off on/off then stay on. Took unit apart and did some soldering but didn't help. May go back in and do ic pins.

I was wondering about the CD player.  Was 1989 the first year Oldsmobile offered it in the Cutlass?

I think CD player didn't become an option until the 90's. 

My 1990 Bonneville had a CD, 90 Reatta has both CD and cassette.

Believe Caddy had one as part of a Bose radio option in '89.

Edited by Padgett