94 Vert Top goes down but not up

mmyers70

I have a 94 cutlass convertible that I can hear the motor run when I hit the top down button but when I press it to go up I hear nothing and does nothing.  Is it more likely the switch gone bad or is the motor for the convertible need to be replaced?

If there was no fluid, it wouldn't go down either. That was one of my original issues, I had a messed up pump and the top had to be operated manually. 

First place to look would be the wiring or the relay. The relay is in the trunk near the pump.

checck the relays, mine would go up a little, then stop, and after a couple minutes the relay would reset and it would go up again....checked the fluid first to see if it was low, changed the relays out, but in the end it turned out to be the pump...i found a used mustang pump on ebay that worked just fine.

• 1 month later...

Mine is doing exactly the same thing it can be helped and then works if you lift while its raising .Is there anyone out there that had this symptom with a different cause? ITS LIKE THE MOTOR KICKS OUT WHEN IT GETS HOT OR THE RELAY GETS HOT NOT SURE ?

Mine is doing exactly the same thing it can be helped and then works if you lift while its raising .Is there anyone out there that had this symptom with a different cause? ITS LIKE THE MOTOR KICKS OUT WHEN IT GETS HOT OR THE RELAY GETS HOT NOT SURE ?

First look inside behind the seat with the top up, and make sure you can actually see the cylinders connected to the top lifting brackets! 

Edit:

Messed around with mine, only to stumble onto a broken joint on the end of one of the cylinders. Bought and installed a heim joint from summit racing as suggested by a forum member, and voila!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mine would do the same thing, it would kind a stall going up and if you gave it a little help, it would go up. Mine was just low on fluid.  Once filled, the top goes up just fine.

• 3 weeks later...

I had that same problem. I thought it was the relay, (Tested it and was find), then the switch,(Took it apart and back together and was find). I finally found a pump motor ebay. Swapped it out and no problem. Weak pump. I was told you could have someone rebuild your existing pump but i could not find anyone in my area to do that.

I would check the fluid first then relays.  Then motor.  Found my motor on ebay as well.

• 7 months later...

Is the fluid full?

my can do the same thing

If I haven’t used it in awhile It’s picky

Hit the switch gently a few times

She’ll respond

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IIRC, there are two relays, one for up, one for down.

I know this post is a year old, but I just realized about 3 years ago, I was helping my friend with his 95 vert.

94 and 95 verts have different relays in the trunk and the cars have their fuseboxes wired a bit differently. IIRC, 95's had the top wired to "accessories" or some odd fuse like that.

• 1 month later...

i had the same issue...swapped out the relays, checked the fluids, and it turned out to be the motor. i swapped it out and its worked great ever since. must be the motor gets hot and trips the relay. i did take the motor apart and clean things up, but it failed soon after. cutlass motors are hard to find...i ended up using one from a mustang, they are more plentiful, so are sebring motors, and they are interchangible to a point. researched it and found a good used one on ebay for cheap and the hoses connected perfectly and it was an exact match...I've got a post here somewhere about he swap

so i ended up using one from a 1994 mustang. i had to change the electrical connector, but the hydraulic lines fit perfect. Even the grommets holding it down lined up with the original..

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I know now that the switch is bad. Does any one have good suggestion on fixing or replacing the switch? The top sill goes down (very slowly) but not up.

Nothing to lose by taking that switch apart and trying to service it. I don't see how it has the ability to run slow due to the switch though.

post-3252-0-02765000-1520971466_thumb.jpg

Well, if the switch contacts have been arc-ing, they have a weld on them, and are not passing all the voltage. This would run the motor at slow speed. 

You can take it apart and sand the contacts, or replace the switch if you can get one. 

Well, if the switch contacts have been arc-ing, they have a weld on them, and are not passing all the voltage. This would run the motor at slow speed. 

Nope, the switch turns on a relay, the relay is what runs the motor. The switch should be passing current in the range of milliamps, not enough for any kind of arcing.

I could see a window switch where it was poorly engineered to run the motors directly and then downright asinine where they incorporate a type of circuit breaker to intentionally overload and pop for one-touch-down.

My guess is motor or relays. It would be a really good idea to test some stuff with a meter if it hasn't been. Multimeters are our friends.

The arc-ing would be on the relay then. I doubt those contacts are accessible to repair. 

Put eyes on both cylinder rods to make sure they are both connected to the top.

Check the fluid level in the pump to make sure it is on the corresponding level lines. 

Measure the voltage at the relays, then at the motor leads to make sure 12V reaches the motor. 

If you are getting the voltage at the motor, then try a new pump.