Getting off rear panels in a convertible

coreylubahn

I have got a 95 Cutlass Convertible and am looking to upgrade the speakers. The doors seem fairly straightforward, but I cannot figure out how to get at the rear speakers. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

The trim for the roll bar has to come off, then that will allow you to take off the panel for the rear speaker. The cover is held inside the rear panel. There should be 1 screw on the floor, one screw somewhere in the middle of the panel near the door (it's a hidden philips screw in the carpeting portion), one screw where the coat hanger is, the T50 (or it could be T60) torx screw that holds the seat belt in and a bracket that holds the panel to the quarter panel area where the rivets are. It helps to take out the bottom seat.

The speakers are riveted in and the grills have a washer like thing that holds em on. I usually ended up breaking them but if you can spin that washer it should come off. 

Take a pic and post it, maybe someone else might have a better idea. 

I just replaced the rear speakers in my 95 vert last month.   What I did was use side-cutters and just cut the soft metal rivet things off.  My new speakers came with a couple different sized screws, but they were too long so I ended up cutting them down (Dremel with cutting wheel FTW) to be short enough to fit (sorry I forgot to take pictures).   It didn't look professional, but it held the speakers in place so hey whatever.   The speaker grills still had enough of a tab/post sticking out of them after I removed them, that I just pushed them back on after I installed the speakers and they have stayed in place.   I broke one of the tabs on each grill, but the remaining ones were enough to hold them in place so far.  If they eventually fall off, I'll just glue them in place.   

• Like 1