F Body Brake Upgrade

Grandprix1

Nice that's kinda what I was hoping for. I bought the kit so it's got powder coated calipers. I'm only getting the rears just so everything matches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 12inch rotors, and new pads really helped the stopping power. The dual pistons calipers should really anchor the car down. I am looking forward to getting mine on. 

Yeah If you get them on before I get mine on let me know what you think. Everyone says it's night and day difference

Yeah If you get them on before I get mine on let me know what you think. Everyone says it's night and day difference

Maybe, I haven't seen my car in a while. Its still locked up in storage.

Maybe, I haven't seen my car in a while. Its still locked up in storage.

Haha ok. Mine isn't lucky enough to get stored for the winter *disappointment* I wish I had a daily beater but unfortunately that can't happen

I know it is just a 17 year old w-body, but I like to care of it. So I DD a 2015 GMC.

I love these cars. Ever since I got mine they started appealing to me. Hopefully they last long enough that people will see them and say oh I remember those they were cool

We're a small crowd but we'll end up being the ones that will make people wish they kept their old W body when most of them are running around as new Toyotas.

• Like 2

I wouldn't bother to upgrade the rear brakes. Those do 10-15% of your braking. Just replace pads, rotors, hoses, and calipers and it will be good to go.

I wouldn't bother to upgrade the rear brakes. Those do 10-15% of your braking. Just replace pads, rotors, hoses, and calipers and it will be good to go.

Ok so then I'll just order the rear brake kit from rock auto so it has matching pads calipers and rotors. These are very nice I opened them up and took a look at them. Very solid

• 3 months later...

Yup, and then get GM rotors. GM Part number is 18021015 . You will need different caliper brackets,GM P/N 18029829.

That is a cheaper, and just as effective brake upgrade.

Edit: that is all 12 inch stuff from GM on the same platform so it bolts up. The Fbody swap requires drilling, threading, and who knows what else.

I want to buy drilled rotors (not slotted/drilled) for front Impala calipers. Are there any available for sale?

I want to buy drilled rotors (not slotted/drilled) for front Impala calipers. Are there any available for sale?

Check rock auto or even tire rack. I know tire rack sells brembo rotors for the Grand Prix. Your not going to want to know how much one of those costs though.

• 8 months later...

Did the SS swap on my Gtp best mod ever.

I used the powerstop kit for a 06 impala ss it is the way to go. $253 and you get new rotors, calipers and brackets best bang for your buck. It all bolts right up you just have to bend the break line a bit at the caliper to clear the bleeder screw.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4751583&cc=1440301&jnid=543&jpid=4c0ed7138bb42faa2f361681efd9ce21c.jpg

I am contemplating on ording the 06 SS kit for my 05 SS. As you said it bolts right up . I am asking due to ZZPs F body kit has a disclaimer about the mounting bolts. If no issues I will order the kit from rock auto. I just do not want to order the 06 SS kit and run into an issue like , "oh , i need a different banjo bolt or etc.

Fbody does have that issue as thats a different set up. These bolt right on no problem. Only fitment issue is you have to bend the brake line about a 1/4 in to clear the bleeder as mentioned before

Edited by jake91

jake91, thanks for posting the link to RockAuto. I'm pretty sure I'll be going with one of their sets to upgrade my brakes. The full outfit with the powdercoated calipers is awesome for the prices. Great stuff!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

This is the Power Stop stuff Jake was talking about, there are front sets, rear sets, and 4 wheel sets.

I'm assuming here that one would want the fronts to do the dual piston upgrade, and would reluctantly do the rears as well for the sake of having them match with all the drilled & slotted powder coated Carbon Fiber and Ceramic Zinc Plated yumminess of it all.

These are the 2 grades available for 3rd Gen, the "Extreme Street Warrior" kit appears to be just fancier pads for $50 more:

POWER STOP KC1438 Z23 Evolution Sport $497.79:

KC1438__ra_p.jpg

POWER STOP KC143826 Z26 Extreme Street Warrior $540.79:

KC1438-26__ra_p.jpg

Then I did some legwork, started comparing things across years and the AC Delco P/Ns for the rears are the same between 2002 and 2007, same shit but Power Stop has 2 different rear P/N's for the two generations and a higher 3G price!!

(I didn't post a pic of the 2G Rear kit because it looks exactly the same...)

So it looks like the best deal is:

Second Gen Rear:
POWER STOP KC1558 Z23 Evolution Sport Rear $212.79 (3G $247.79)

Third Gen Front:
POWER STOP KC1437 Z23 Evolution Sport Front $250.79

Total: $463.58 -vs- $497.79 buying the 3G 4 wheel package.

Or the Extreme versions if you were willing to spend $50 something for a different set of pads, (have to admit the Extreme pads would look a bit more B.A. through the wheel) here's the breakdown on the pad specs:

Power Stop Z23 Evolution Sport Brake Pads:

• Carbon Fiber and Ceramic Compound
  • High temperature threshold to resist fade during extreme driving
  • Quiet, low-dust ceramic formula
  • Shims made with dual rubber layers over constrained steel to eliminate noise
  • Premium stainless steel hardware kit included where applicable
  • High temperature ceramic lubricant included with every pad set

Power Stop Z26 Brake Pads:

• Carbon Fiber infused Evolution ceramic formula for superior braking power
  • Pad surfaces are thermal scorched for a fast break-in
  • Chamfered and slotted like the OE pad to ensure noise-free braking
  • Powder coated backing plate extends life by resisting rust and corrosion
  • Premium stainless steel shims provide virtually noise-free braking
  • Premium stainless steel hardware kit for easy, problem free installation
Edited by Imp558

• 2 months later...

Fbody does have that issue as thats a different set up. These bolt right on no problem. Only fitment issue is you have to bend the brake line about a 1/4 in to clear the bleeder as mentioned before

The Monte SS kit doesnt require a new caliper bracket for the front?