Serpentine Belt on 95 Cutlass Convertible

jojeeka

I have worked on my Trailblazer where there is a lot more room in the engine compartment but it is a lot different my the 95 Cutlass with 3.4L.  Took me 2 seconds to figure out how to do the tensioner in the Trailblazer.  Been looking at the convertible for a half hour with the coolant tank out and i still can't figure out how to loosen the belt.  I believe the tensioner is (5-7 inches) below the power steering pump pulley but hell if i see a square whole for my ratchet anywhere near that thing.

Any help would be appreciated.

There should be a 15mm nut on the tensioner. Put a socket on it, and push down. That should remove the tension on the belt. There isnt a spot to put the wrench in. You will need a socket.

Thanks for the quick feedback.  I felt like that might be the case but my ratchet is so thick especially with socket that i couldn't test it out.  i may need to buy a tool.

I used to have a long box wrench for basically this purpose, not sure whatever happened to it because in the last 14 years I've only been about a year and a half without a 3.4

Thanks for all the feedback, it really helped!  

now optional reading with a bunch of boring stuff in case anyone wants some extra info about my experience with this "project" with squeaks, belts and wrenches...  

the nut on my tensioner is around 3/4" i think.  the reason i'm not 100% sure is that i didn't have a box wrench big enough (trying to build my tools up but not there yet) so i ended up using one of those wrenches plumbers use to undo nuts holding the faucet to the counter: chrome rod handle with black wrench head that closes to size.  that worked great but probably not the best because it scraped up the nut a little bit but not too bad.

my belt was fairly new and the reason i was changing it was because i had terrible squeaking in the engine compartment (probably from a power steering leak.)  i stumbled onto a youtube video that said one of those Goodyear gatorback belts could quiet things down.  continental bought that division from GY apparently so if anyone is interested it is now the continental elite poly-v belt.  no wonder continent is buying divisions from GY, they know how to name things better!  elite vs gatorback!!!   the belt that fit my 95 cutlass convertible has 4060730 & 6PK1855 printed on the "box."   btw, i believe amazon showed that part number would not fit my vehicle but on ebay someone had my vehicle listed for that belt so i bought it.  it does work.  UPDATE: just saw on a youtube video that the 6PK1855 means 6 groves and 1855 is he length (possibly in mm) and i noticed my old belt had that same marking so that's how to tell it would fit before buying.  that's good to know.

the only thing i'm not sure of yet is if the squeak stopped because i cleaned up a lot of the grease (just wiping no power wash) or because of the belt design.  i'm thinking a little of the prior and a lot of the latter.

hope that info helps someone else!  thanks again!

They say those gatorback errr Elite belts are supposed to be better than the traditional poly rib ones.

Anyways, you are right, the nut isn't 15mm, it's 19mm. 3/4 is just the standard equivalent of it, but it works the same IMO. My issue was that I couldn't get a socket and ratchet on it, so I did mine with a vice grip. I know you're not supposed to since it can round out the bolt, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

I like 55Trucker's link though. I'll probably have to get one someday. Now to figure out how to deal with a similar situation with a V belt set up. 

This set will make short work of moving the tensioner bolt head, I keep one of these in my box

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_16281.jpg

I have that same set and it works nicely. If you try to use it as a wrench it will break but it's fine for use on tensioners. Another trick is to use a combination wrench and use the box end on the bolt on the tensioner, then hook the box end of another wrench on to the open end of that one more leverage. I usually something big like a 15/16 or 1 inch on to it.