Hard pedal, weak brakes - 95 Cutlass

coreylubahn

I'm doing the same with my Z34, to see if it makes my braking situation better. I already know the check valve on it is questionable, but if I can get some extra mileage out of it so I can save up for a new booster and make that damn tool to get it off, then I'm all for it.

Just a 15/32 vacuum (PCV) hose from AutoZone. Needed about 1.5 feet.

Wrong answer.

GM sells a molded vacuum hose (that doesn't kink or collapse from the tight clearance/sharp bend radius required) that fits either the 3.1 or the 3.4 DOHC engine.  GM #10400822, about $12 when I bought one years ago.  I suppose it'll be higher-priced now.

Wrong answer.

GM sells a molded vacuum hose (that doesn't kink or collapse from the tight clearance/sharp bend radius required) that fits either the 3.1 or the 3.4 DOHC engine.  GM #10400822, about $12 when I bought one years ago.  I suppose it'll be higher-priced now.

Well I got bad news.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oe-gm/10400822

It's discontinued. Not surprising considering that there's not a lot of 1st gen W body cars running around. 

Well I got bad news.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oe-gm/10400822

It's discontinued. Not surprising considering that there's not a lot of 1st gen W body cars running around. 

Several of them on ebay currently.

As for that particular part number, it's different from the ones on the 3.1 cars which is part number 10185138. They're discontinued as well.

I'm just seeing this post...too bad I didn't see it sooner to tell you about that vacuum hose. I bought a '95 new and that intake hose on mine failed in the early 2000's. It's totally hidden from view and I couldn't find the source of the problem. I took it by a dealer and asked one of the tech's if he had any idea what could be causing the hard peddle. Without hesitating, he asked me to pop the hood and pointed to where the hose would be and that I would find it collapsing. The parts counter not only had it in stock, the parts manager new the part number from memory because they failed so often.

From an environmental standpoint, it's a bad location for a hose.  Lots of heat trapped between the exhaust manifold and the firewall, and almost invariably, some oil/grease eventually end up on the hose.  Over time, that's a bad combination, and the hose fails.

So is this the large hose that goes from booster to intake? The check valve on the booster can be replaced, ? Can this also cause soft pedal.

Yes.

Not sure on the check valve, some people say it can be others say it can't. RockAuto does sell the piece.

Can the bad check valve cause soft pedal? That's what I'm experiencing right now. I move the check valve and the pedal gets better but it goes back to how it was after I shut the car off and let it sit for a while.