Just got back into a w-body

coreylubahn

Hi. Just introducing myself. I just got a 1995 Cutlass Convertible. 3.4DOHC. Red with white top and white interior. Very nice shape. 70k miles. Working through some minor issues. Used to have a 94 Cutlass Convertible. Wasn't nearly as nice as this one.

The car had a stuck thermostat when I bought it, so no heat on the drive home (I live in Iowa). Got that replaced only to find the blend door actuators had been removed and left laying under the dash. No idea why, they worked fine when I got them hooked back up. Still need to recharge the AC and the hvac will be back to normal.

Also had a bad wiper fluid pump and a bad PCV valve. Cheap, easy fixes.

Now I found it has an intake gasket leak, so that will be next on the list. Sucky part is that the gasket was just replaced like 3,000 miles ago (but 3 years). Must not have been done right. I am hoping that maybe the vacuum leak is causing the brakes to be weak. The brake pedal is super hard and doesn't cause much braking. I can't lock up the tires no matter how hard I push. Booster passes all the normal tests, so I am just wondering if it is a vacuum problem.

The only other issue is a leaky CV on the passenger side. That will be getting fixed along with a tranny fluid change and new gasket for the pan.

It is a nice car, very fun to drive. I just have to figure out what is going on with the brakes.

Glad to be a member and super happy to be back in a w-body.

• Like 3

Nice car, Ive got a 1995 Vert as well only in white with a slate top/ interior. You could not find a better place to talk about them than this forum and its nice to see some new names around. Ive got a 1994 coupe too but its not a vert, or DOHC but its my favorite.

Just got the car so we will see how hard it is to keep white clean. I pretty meticulous, so I will manage.

Basic booster tests come out okay, and we verified that all pistons are free on all four corners. I am really hoping that maybe it is all due to the vacuum leak at the intake gasket.tv

Welcome to the forum!

The intake gaskets aren't the best gaskets out there. The replacement options are nylon only. There's no "metal" upgrade the same way the 3x00 and 3800 engines have. I've had this issue since owning my 94 and have had to change the LIMG every year. The only difference is that I usually get 10,000 out of the gaskets before the water passages start weeping when cold and seal up when hot. I was told by a fellow member to clean both mating surfaces with a cloth cone and a drill, which I did after removing all gunk so we'll see how that works. His car was higher mileage and had the same issue I did and never had to deal with the LIM again after cleaning with a cloth cone. It would be something worth looking into. I did but it's been only a week since I did mine so it's too early to tell. 

As far as your brakes go, it could be that your brake booster is failing however, it can still create enough vacuum pressure to be able to sink when the car is running. I'm currently having that issue as well, but in my Z34 (I have 2 W's). The thing about vacuum leaks is that it would have to be a pretty bad vacuum leak for the vacuum booster to have no vacuum pressure at all. I actually bought my Z34 with vacuum line issues but the brakes were not affected by the issues. The engine would actually rev up to 3000RPM in park, 5000RPM in neutral but the pedal was always soft and the brakes always mushy, even after I fixed those issues. As of late, the car sat for 6 months and now the pedal is hard and stopping power is the same as before. 

I honestly would bet that the booster needs to be swapped. 

Out of curiosity, does your car cut off when you first start it and is it hard for it to idle as it warms up?

Nope. The car starts and runs great. Smooth idle. It occasionally hunts a few hundred RPM up and down for then first 30 seconds or sonadter startup if you don't start driving, but that is it. The motor runs great.

The leaky gasket is pretty bad, just a vacuum leak, no oil or coolant, but it is bad enough that you can hear it whistling when the car is running and you can hear the vacuum hiss out (relieve itself) when you shut the motor off.

Hey IACorey, I really like that color combo!  I hope you get it sorted all out.  My 91 also has the DOHC motor and so it's great to see the possible fixes on these issues as I'm sure I will have to deal with them when it comes time to work on her.  I've had concerns over the vacuum lines and rear brakes too. 

Nope. The car starts and runs great. Smooth idle. It occasionally hunts a few hundred RPM up and down for then first 30 seconds or sonadter startup if you don't start driving, but that is it. The motor runs great.

The leaky gasket is pretty bad, just a vacuum leak, no oil or coolant, but it is bad enough that you can hear it whistling when the car is running and you can hear the vacuum hiss out (relieve itself) when you shut the motor off.

Have you checked all rubber hoses, connectors and plastic lines to make sure they're not cracked? 

For the most part, these gaskets leak fluid when they're going bad.

Hey IACorey, I really like that color combo!  I hope you get it sorted all out.  My 91 also has the DOHC motor and so it's great to see the possible fixes on these issues as I'm sure I will have to deal with them when it comes time to work on her.  I've had concerns over the vacuum lines and rear brakes too. 

Now out of curiosity, what's wrong with your vacuum lines?

Welcome! There's a ton of write-ups in the FAQ section and coffee and donuts in the Whatever thread. There's actually not coffee and donuts in there but that's the atmosphere anyway.

• 1 month later...

Check your brake booster vacuum hose which goes from the booster check valve to the back of the intake plenum. If that's disconnected or leaking, it will result in both hard brakes and a large vacuum leak.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...