UA-65274002-1 Jump to content
AL

3800/W-body Gathering Meet - Detroit, MI - July 1, 2017

If that is the official plan, or will become the official plan, there is a good chance I can possably kick the wife out of the house for a night or two and have some people crash here, and or hang out. I know I'm not getting a hotel room since I live close enough to drive (and I enjoy the drive). It's almost exactly an hour from here.

Is your water safe to drink though?

Agreed, definitely way more of a "show" atmosphere, but I don't think we'd be out of place at all

Depends... if you have a show car you'll fit right in. If you're in the middle of a project or the car is your beater you're SOL lol. Which is gonna be interesting considering that folks in MI have cars that rust quickly 

Most people that attend the meet store thier cars for the winter.

i didn't get that feeling at all. There are definitely some super nice cars that fit that description, but hardly the majority. Even the guys that do have those are super cool (for the most part, there's always exceptions), and are interested in other things.

Is your water safe to drink though?

Yep, had ours tested and came back with no trace of lead :lol:

Depends... if you have a show car you'll fit right in. If you're in the middle of a project or the car is your beater you're SOL lol. Which is gonna be interesting considering that folks in MI have cars that rust quickly

There's plenty of DDs and cars that are imo wayyyy less than show cars, but it's neat to see, and that's what it's about. The "Grand Prix family" is a bunch of... "domestic"... people with 22"s and lambo doors and bad paint and etc, but still neat in its own way

Yep, had ours tested and came back with no trace of lead :lol:

There's plenty of DDs and cars that are imo wayyyy less than show cars, but it's neat to see, and that's what it's about. The "Grand Prix family" is a bunch of... "domestic"... people with 22"s and lambo doors and bad paint and etc, but still neat in its own way

Are you making formula with the water for your baby?  :think:

Hmmm I kinda wanna take the Cutty just to see how many "WTF" looks I get. The car cleans up nice outside, but the inside is gutted since the roof leaks water. Makes it easier to clean.

Just like the title of the event suggests, in order to be eligible to enter your vehicle into the W-Body/3800 Gathering and onto the car show grounds, it must be powered by a GM 3800 series V6 OR must be a W-Body platform vehicle. ​An eligible vehicle must fit ONE of the two requirement categories, but is not required to fit both. It is also not a requirement that vehicles come factory equipped with the 3800, vehicles with a 3800 engine swap are welcome too!

There's very few exceptions to the 3800/Space Bobby requirements.

The first couple of years, they had piles and piles of Bonneville's there.  They had no issue with allowing Northstar Bonneville's, which I understand as the Bonneville for those three Generations that have showed are pretty much exclusively a 3800 series car, but for the most part it is strictly one, the other or both.

I would assume the next step would be reservations, traditionally someone from the area would suggest a place they had scouted and discussed a volume rate for us.

Alternatively we could use the group rate for the gathering but this is a pretty big gig so one can only imagine how quickly this place books up. Also it may not be the best deal but rather the biggest joint they could find anticipating the numbers.

http://www.wbody3800gathering.com/hotel-reservations.html

baymont inn & suites - hotel block 2017

RATES:

1 King Bed Non-Smoking Room with free continental breakfast, free Wi-Fi, flat screen TV.
​$69.00/per night + tax - CAN BE SHARED BY UP TO 3 PEOPLE.

2 Double/Twin Bed Non- Smoking Room with free continental breakfast, free Wi-Fi, flat screen TV.
$72.00/per night + tax - CAN BE SHARED BY UP TO 4 PEOPLE.

2 Queen Bed Non- Smoking Room with free continental breakfast, free Wi-Fi, flat screen TV.
$74.00/per night + tax - CAN BE SHARED BY UP TO 4 PEOPLE.

​BOOK BY PHONE ONLY. MENTION THE EVENT, "W-BODY GATHERING".

​ *THIS IS THE SAME HOTEL THAT HAS BEEN USED FOR THE LAST 4 YEARS. IT UNDERWENT A NAME CHANGE/OWNERSHIP TRANSFER PRIOR TO THE 2016 EVENT.

ADDRESS

Baymont Inn & Suites
32800 Stephenson Hwy.
​Madison Heights, MI

Phone

248-588-3388
Edited by Imp558

Depending on the route you take, you either take surface streets and your 30ish min is highly variable, or you take the freeway and drive 7-8 extra miles because of the way it's cut.

I don't know why that hotel is being used though, besides keeping tradition since that is right around the corner from where the meet used to be held (two years ago and before). My recommendation would be Roseville hotels, around 13 mile and Gratiot/Little mack. The old best western there (now renamed and redecorated) shares a parking lot with a big venue that was getting redone last I drove by. I can check out some of those hotels for a group rate if we get enough interest here.

Let me know

**Edit** Looks like it's a Days inn now. I have changed engine oil in the back of that lot before. It isn't bad but Gratiot is busy. If you don't want a super busy spot, something on little mack may be a better choice. Also, the rates seem really good on third party sites for that hotel. I think it would be cheaper to go that route than to do a group buy if this early on. The deal is in the 50's and the hotel website is in the 80's.

Edited by vipmiller803

29 people voted for the date of the 2016 meet. Figure not all of them went as some of them were voting for whatever weekend didn't get picked and were unable to attend. Some of them brought significant others, and others bunked together so on average I would guess between 8-15 rooms.

Possibly more since other people attending will inevitably say "W-Body" even if they're not with us and get mixed in to boost our numbers in appearance.

The Gathering is Saturday, 7/1 so I'd assume we will roll in Friday and leave Sunday.

So my theoretical numbers are 8-15 Rooms Friday June 30th & Saturday July 1st. Preferably first floor, together in succession and on the back side of the building.

I called that place and their minimum number for a block rate is 15 rooms. Also, they have no double rooms available that weekend. Their group rate for the king rooms was 77+tax, which is $16 higher than what priceline/kayak shows for them right now for those dates. I am guessing that the proximity to the holiday and the meet being bigger than just us might be affecting this. I mean no double rooms is already a turn off.

It would be cool to start making reservations so we can consume a big chunk of a motel somewhere. Do we have a destination yet?

Also, I'm about 90% sure my Regal will not be accompanying me this year. It's not where I want it nor will I be able to devote the appropriate time to it so the 2001 MCSS that we got for Renne will likely be taking me to Detroit, after an engine swap of course.

Ok...been off this forum for a few years but still have the car :-). In fact, drove it to Florida twice since September and just got back. Retired now, so I have a life. Maybe you guys can save me a lot of reading and let me know when and where you are meeting this year ? Would be my first....I live on the Canadian side right across from Marine City, MI.

we're still debating what motel we would like to use, there's one on the Gathering website that they recommend but we had considered earlier in this thread going with a different one to ensure that our group stays together.

if you keep an eye on this thread over the next three or four weeks we should have everything settled or some of us will give in and make reservations at the hotel on the Gathering website.

THE OFFICIAL W-BODY/3800 GATHERING 2017

JULY 1, 2017

GIBRALTAR TRADE CENTER​​

​237 N RIVER RD., 

MOUNT CLEMENS, MICHIGAN 48043

​10:00 AM - 8:00 PM

Ok...been off this forum for a few years but still have the car :-). In fact, drove it to Florida twice since September and just got back. Retired now, so I have a life. Maybe you guys can save me a lot of reading and let me know when and where you are meeting this year ? Would be my first....I live on the Canadian side right across from Marine City, MI.

You are just down the road from me and across the river. There is the big 3800/wbody meet in My.Clemens MI this Summer.