UA-65274002-1 Jump to content
AL

3800/W-body Gathering Meet - Detroit, MI - July 1, 2017

I want to start planning w-body nationals 2017 but I want to run some opinions by the group.

I am getting married the last weekend in may and I have a large amount of this group on the invite list. Also, the 3800 Gathering is July 1st weekend. I know that there are quite a few people who will be attending both events and I feel if I plan a June Wbody meet, it will be a flop due to so much happening in a 5 week period.

Now, my suggestion is that we link together with the 3800 Gathering for the meet. September we will have our own meet and I will set that up. I have talked to the coordinator of the gathering and he is willing to give us our own parking so we can stay together and do our own thing. Hotels and food we can join in on as well with discounts and stuff.

If enough interest is there, I will set up a June meet as well. Please let me know how you feel.

I think it'd be awesome to have our own group area at a bigger meet! I haven't stayed a whole weekend since its pretty close to me, but it'd be awesome if Saturday we did the big meet thing, maybe do something with our group Sunday or something (I understand there's some that have to drive far). Depending on what transpires I might be able to take in a few guys that want to crash Friday night (although right now I think I would normally workthat weekend, might have to work on fixing that)

I've yet to attend a 3800-wbody-whateveritis meet generally because it falls so close to ours and I simply don't have to time to roll out to multiple meets in such short order, and well the choice has always come down to our forum, obviously. 

I'll say I'm not opposed to trying something new, We've changed things up in the past with varying levels of success so its not the end of the world if we don't much care for it. Toledo will always be there.

I realize I'm alone in my feelings, but I'm 100% against integrating with any 3800 meet.  I fear that will ultimately be the end of what's left of our community. We are extremely close and tight knit and that has been where our success has lied. 

Once we start integrating the meets, we effectively dissolve the "W-body.com" community and we just become part of theirs, going along with whatever they plan.  That's a shame because for a while we were the only community who did anything that wasn't 3800/2G-specific. 

That being said, I will reluctantly go forward with whatever the community wants to do.

I take a slightly less apocalyptic view of it, It's one year if we don't care for it we don't do it again.

I love our group, but there is no denying that numbers have dwindled for a variety of reasons including another, larger meet taking place close and at about the same time. As well as that while our forum isn't any generation of W-Body specific, it has a larger 1G presence then anywhere else, and the number of people with them still that are willing to take a 20+ year old car long distances is growing ever smaller.

I'll roll with whatever, its not like we have to take part in every last thing the group as a whole is doing, just like how we've run it in the past. 

I dont see any issue joining up with the 3800 meet guys. I heard a rumor that this might be the last 3800 meet they do. They usually have a huge crowd and the energy at the meet is very positive. Don't get me wrong I like our close community, but it is ever dwindling and not too many people even drive 1st gens anymore which was the basis of this forum for a long time, but we shouldn't integrate with another forum. I believe the people on this forum arent going to leave because of one 3800 meet.

I'm on the wall with this one, not that it would matter since if I did go, I may not even go in a W. Anyways, my 2 W's are 3.4's DOHC engined so I'd be pretty left out.

nah, come keep me company! Anytime Ive been everyone has been super cool weather has a 3800 or not. As long as it's a W body, or have a 3800 it's fair game. I usually get a lot of people talking to me and asking me about the GTP

If anyone wants to make an extra trip, I'd love to bring both of my cars LOL

Pick me up at the Airport, we might do this. LOL 

I always wanted to go to a meet but my cars (or my financial situation for that matter) is never right. So I'm gonna take the 1st part out and just save for a hotel and a flight haha.

I'm on the wall with this one, not that it would matter since if I did go, I may not even go in a W. Anyways, my 2 W's are 3.4's DOHC engined so I'd be pretty left out. 

Actually anyone that's there with a W that has something other than the 3800 gets a lot of attention.

It's a W-body/3800/G8 meet.

There's been several Fiero's there that are swapped, and numerous non-3800 powered cars.  Bonnevilles are big there, and they allow the 4.6 Bonneville's to attend as well.

Just like the title of the event suggests, in order to be eligible to enter your vehicle into the W-Body/3800 Gathering and onto the car show grounds, it must be powered by a GM 3800 series V6 OR must be a W-Body platform vehicle. ​An eligible vehicle must fit ONE of the two requirement categories, but is not required to fit both. It is also not a requirement that vehicles come factory equipped with the 3800, vehicles with a 3800 engine swap are welcome too!

I've never been able to make it to a meet...unfortunately, I no longer have a W...but at some time in the future, I'd like to go to a W-body.com meet, just to get to actually meet everyone.  So far, I've personally met two members, Nas, and Rich.

I'd just have to bring the IROC...which doesn't sound like such a bad idea to me....maybe next year?