Close to OEM FE3 shock possible? sugguestions

2001goldGTP

I am basically just looking for the best replacement front stock for my normal '90 fe3 cutlass supreme. The shocks I have in there now are the monroe sensa and they feel blown out compared to other older cars I drive around in. What have you guys used and what where the results. I have no desire to go coil overs.

I had

KYB GR2's on my '95 Cutlass convertible, which had the FE3 suspension. I was very happy with the firm, but not harsh ride.

Others, though, may have better suggestions.

I had

KYB GR2's on my '95 Cutlass convertible, which had the FE3 suspension. I was very happy with the firm, but not harsh ride.

Others, though, may have better suggestions.

i can only find the excel-g ones, the issue is the market is drying up

get strut bearings, bushings and jounce bumpers from KYB as well. Your metal spring plates are probably fine after a good sanding and epoxy painting but the spring bushings are probably going to be stiff as well. Then everything there will be new.

That's exactly what I did with my Cutlass..it wasn't even all that expensive.....having the rear alignment done was kind of expensive, though.

• 2 weeks later...

The lower coil spring mounts/lower strut bearings are an important part to replace on a car that old as they tend to rust over time. Yes, this means that the tie rod, ball joint, axle splines, brake caliper, etc., all has to be removed and spring compressors used to take the thing apart.  

I had the KYB lower strut mount/bearing assemblies on order for 3+ months, and Amazon never could cough them up.  Ended up ordering the Monroes for $20 a piece.  Hard to imagine there's any difference worth paying twice as much to KYB for. 

The GR-2's/Excel-G's are nice. 

Your metal spring plates are probably fine after a good sanding and epoxy painting

The bearings are probably all shot after all those years with the water and rust that tends to get involved.  By the time you buy new bearings and install them, may as well just replace 'em.  I personally would highly advise that one *not* try to refurbish this part unless you have a way to detect fatigue cracks (ie: dye penetration testing, ultrasound, etc.), which 99% of us probably don't have access to! 

thanks for the feed back, I have the monroes and well they are only slightly better than when completely blown out. A friend commented man these feel like my bilstiens do when they need to be replaced, they are at about 15K miles.

• 1 month later...

I did the rear shocks about 3 months ago. I used the KYB G2's and love them. Ride is tight, but not to harsh. I'd recommend them to anyone.