Money Pit Horror Story: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

CompGXTP

It bugs me that he's out there talking about $20,000.00 repairs when it should have been simple repairs but the dealer inflated and blew everything out of proportion. Gives our chassis a bad name because he believed the dealer estimates.

So one "bad egg" and you suddenly swear off all grand prix gtps? With that attitude you'll quickly run out of cars to buy.

Sent from tapatalk

Except some people just lease, and repeat.

Dealers will never run out of steel.

At least the car could have been posted here.

Free advertising, interested market.

Sold for $3500, dealer now asking $7500.

I was considering it after the two month mark online posting an ad here and creating an account on grandprix forums and posting there. As soon as the transmission began slipping, that was a warning to me to get rid of the car ASAP. It was either deal with a transmission failure and have a repair bill as much as what I got at the dealer and if I sold a car actually lose money due to the repair itself.

I have student loans and other finances I had to take car of and only working part time for now hopefully a new position is opening up for more hours but until then I had to get rid of this money pit as it was really draining me financially. Like others have said, I may even lease a car in the future but most likely I am saving for a used car with very low mileage and a certified warranty. I know many of you guys work on your own cars and I respect that, but I am one of those average car consumers that just need a reliable car with the typical general maintenance that is required from time to time. Yes I understand cars break and major repairs happen, but with my car it was happening monthly with very little mileage being put on at a time and as a person in my situation financially, I could not handle it anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys thought I would update you on the car. Dealer still has been unable to sell it, so that dropped the price over $1500 Car has been sitting in the same place for over a month . It may sell though since the price dropped.

Caught selling hidden defect = hard too.

Don't expect much until the new owner comes here with tranny questions.

Well the defect the tranny in this scenario was just beginning to fail and not a catastrophic failure as it was easily able to be remedied more like a bandaid with lucus transmission stop slip. It most likely would have eventually died. The car was drive able with no check engine lights still so who knows when it would have died. The car was for sale for a few months with two price drops and in that time the car needed three repairs, one in warranty and two out of warranty with less than 1000 miles put on. Once the warranty expired, and I felt that transmission begun to slip, it had to go. So the person who buys the car may have no issues for months or even years, but its possible it can fail shortly after so I wish the best to them and I hope they buy or is offered a warranty with the car.

Regarding if the next owner I will be checking here and the grand prix forums as well after the car sells to see what happens. If they join either forum and I recognize the car, it will be only a matter of time before they come to there forum with problems which I am sure they will especially with the reputation the car has.