Flush mount deck in a 90 Grand Prix

Dark Ride

What years?  Did you have to modify the plastic mount/bracket behind the radio?  It looks like it won't accommodate the longer aftermarket deck without modification.

I've never done it, I've never owned a Grand Prix but I do know the 98-02 Camaro and 95-99 Cavalier could be fitted with an aftermarket radio without having the adapter trim stick out.  On the Camaro, in my personal application, I had to move some wiring in order to make my RCA's fit (I had RCA's connected to the radio for amps). 

Your best bet is to get a half length radio that doesn't have a CD player, get the non lipped adapter and it should fit fine. The non CD player ones are called "mechless" radios.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_121741_Pioneer-MVH-290BT.html

I'd measure the stock radio and go from there. JVC also sells these kinds of radios.

Can't imagine why anyone would want a cd player nowadays, so many decks with fs usb now. I've had 1 cd in mine in 4 years.

True,

the deck you see in that photo is what I Installed back in '99, that deck has since been retired in favor of an Alpine head unit with front & rear usb inputs.

• 2 weeks later...

I already had a deck with a CD Player.  I got it to fit, but will definitely never do it again.  I almost ended up buying a shallow deck anyway.  They just weren't designed to fit the full length decks without sticking out.

I already had a deck with a CD Player.  I got it to fit, but will definitely never do it again.  I almost ended up buying a shallow deck anyway.  They just weren't designed to fit the full length decks without sticking out.

Well most cars aren't designed to have an aftermarket radio to begin with. That's part of the issue. Today is even worse since some cars have to have a redesigned dash just to get an aftermarket radio to fit. That is the case with the new Sonata for example, that you have to get the whole trim bezel that surrounds the gauges and radio. 

Many GM's of that era were just barely able to fit a tape deck. Almost every factory CD player GM made stuck out of the dash more then a tape deck did.

Depends on what you consider too much. Factory unit in my 90 Bonneville did not stick out much

post-9662-0-30958200-1481037066_thumb.jpg

and the Clarion in my 90 Reatta is not bad.

post-9662-0-40356900-1481036203_thumb.jpg

I find the cd slot useful for a magnetic mount for my phone.

I just accept that