Transmission Failure

Euro

Well, I think the Regal's days are ending.  Trans I believe failed on me yesterday.  I am pretty burnt out, so this is mostly just for discussion as to what could've happened.  A 200k on the original drivetrain, and in the 5.5 years/100k I've owned it I haven't needed any repairs other than tune ups and oil changes (drivetrain wise).  Up until it failed, trans was performing 100%.  Light throttle, WOT, etc.  No hiccups.  I was out running errands for work, and pulled up to our office to drop something off.  Left car running...came back, put in gear and got no response.  Manual 3 and 2 is the same.  Manual 1 will get the car to move with very easy throttle.  Any regular throttle response the car will shudder and slip.  Car will go in to 2nd and 3rd manually.  Only if you let off the throttle, shift, and back on easy throttle.  Fluid is still full, but dark as shit.  3-4 months ago, it was still a fairly nice red color.  Fluid is of unknown age.  

I'm no mechanic, and a transmission is right at the top of the list of shit I know zero about.  What do you guys think?  Forward band?  Clutches?  Something stupid/minor like a plugged filter? 

Haven't decided what to do yet.  Body is still very clean, no typical W-body rot.  Not sure if I want to put forth the $ or effort.  A 200k mile car that has basically needed no above and beyond maintenance.  But, I'll decide that whenever I get the car home.  

Oh dude...I sometimes worry about the transmission going out on mine. I'm at 177K on the original drivetrain and I have a torrington bearing going out. You can hear it whine at idle and it sounds similar to a bad PS pump. Other than that it runs and drives fine.

I'm not sure what the torringtion bearing is for or what it does but I'm told that if it goes out then the transmission fails. I can only hope that it will last me until I rebuild the transmission.

I'd drop in a can of Seafoam TransTune (local FLAPS should have).

Had a TranSport with a 4T60E & periodically would just sit there after a stop. Can will free sticking shuttles but I would change the fluid and filter after 50-100 miles if dark.

2000 Regal.  I've been told forward band, possibly clutches.  I thought about the shift solenoids, but wouldn't I have no functionality at all?  

I still think I am finished with the car.  200k, I haven't touched anything in the engine in the 100k I've owned it.  Who knows how old the LIM gaskets are, water pump, radiator, etc etc. I don't want to end up having this thing nickel and dime me to death. It already needs a LCA, sway bar and bushings, brakes, tires, struts are (I believe) original.  Sunroof isn't 100% operational, 1 window motor is bad.   We have 1 nice car, that should be alright for now.  But we'll see.

Sorry to hear that.

Glad you wrote it up.

The lesson I take away is check fluid often if old, change before it turns dark.

I had considered a flush but several sources have advised against it.

That sucks, Matt. 

As someone who has dumped way too much into cars that just don't "deserve" it, I'd consider the rest of the car.

You've said it needs a LCA ~$60, Swaybar and bushings ~$75, window motor and or regulator, if you buy from someone here probably $free to Rather cheap. And lastly a transmission rebuild ~$1900-2500

And if you haven't done them already you can expect to need; wheel bearings at some point ~$85 each, the other LCA, intake gaskets ~$100 Possibly brake lines at either cheap or really expensive if you do them yourself vs a shop. and misc steering parts, ~$120, and lastly struts at ~$400, probably less

Without seeing it and without knowing how just how rusty it is or is not I'll assume its a pretty clean chassis. And at that point I'd be looking around at what other cars you can obtain for $3000 since that's ballpark what yours will cost to get back in order not counting other repairs. And then consider its cheaper to insure then a new car with a payment and how far you'll potentially go on that, but again chassis condition is everything.

The bad news is if you fix it now and get all its ills taken care of you'll drop some coin on a car that's "not worth it" but I try to look at it in terms of use. I dropped a engine and transmission in my Bonneville at 190k. I put nearly another 100k miles on it after that, and I'm positive that it was in worse shape then your Regal at the time. These cars aren't worth any money to the average consumer, but in terms of a dependable transportation appliance its another story in the "worth it" department.

Alternatively, sell it to AL as is :lol:

That sucks, Matt. 

As someone who has dumped way too much into cars that just don't "deserve" it, I'd consider the rest of the car.

You've said it needs a LCA ~$60, Swaybar and bushings ~$75, window motor and or regulator, if you buy from someone here probably $free to Rather cheap. And lastly a transmission rebuild ~$1900-2500

And if you haven't done them already you can expect to need; wheel bearings at some point ~$85 each, the other LCA, intake gaskets ~$100 Possibly brake lines at either cheap or really expensive if you do them yourself vs a shop. and misc steering parts, ~$120, and lastly struts at ~$400, probably less

Without seeing it and without knowing how just how rusty it is or is not I'll assume its a pretty clean chassis. And at that point I'd be looking around at what other cars you can obtain for $3000 since that's ballpark what yours will cost to get back in order not counting other repairs. And then consider its cheaper to insure then a new car with a payment and how far you'll potentially go on that, but again chassis condition is everything.

The bad news is if you fix it now and get all its ills taken care of you'll drop some coin on a car that's "not worth it" but I try to look at it in terms of use. I dropped a engine and transmission in my Bonneville at 190k. I put nearly another 100k miles on it after that, and I'm positive that it was in worse shape then your Regal at the time. These cars aren't worth any money to the average consumer, but in terms of a dependable transportation appliance its another story in the "worth it" department.

Alternatively, sell it to AL as is :lol:

Yeah, I'm sure the wheel bearings on all 4 corners are original.  There is some noise, but I haven't really pinned that to them yet..either that or the tires.  I can't always tell what side(s) the noise is coming from.  Other LCA I did a couple years back.  Both axles are fairly recent  I'm not worried about brake lines, the car is fairly clean underneath.  I guess on paper, I should consider fixing the car.  Or at least finding a cheap trans to throw in.  But the biggest issue is time.  When can I do all of this?  My local buddies have more than willing offered help, but with 2 little kids and a wife with an opposite work schedule...free time is rare.  I'm out of vacation days, otherwise I'd have done that ha.  And, we are flat broke for any sort of extra stuff like this.  The selling of this heap will at least get things started.  We are financially strained this year.

Maybe I'm just taking the easy route.  

A little late, but likely forward band. My Comp G did that just about 2 months after I got it. Tossed a GXP trans into it and rolling again, but only because I found it for $100 locally and got it installed cheap.

Your Regal looks nice! Fix it if you can, if you think it's worth it.

So once again, if you need to ask, you can't afford it. But if you know what to do and what you are looking at, can probably get off cheap. Does help to stockpile some things which are hard to find. I'd like to find a spare 284 possibly with an LQ1 attached. Even better if mobile and had a nice AQ-9 interior.