Rear spring leaf

project 92z

I'm sure this had been touched on but i can't find it. I got a 92 Z34 with a sagging ass. Not sexy at all. I was looking on ebay and saw what looks like 2 different pads. White ones by Moog and black ones by Loctite. Are they different designs of the same item or different functions. I wanna get back to original height but also noticed the ends of the leaf seems to be wearing. I did find some mention of Flex-form. Anybody know the ratio info on the springs in case i go that route?

You can email, or call flex a form. Mark is pretty helpful, but he never was able to answer my spring rate questions. He just kept telling me it was stock spring rates. Be prepared for 6+ weeks of backlog and $320 price tag. Do the rates not vary based on the GM part numbers?

The Moog "pucks" are intended to be a "better" replacement than the original Dorman/Loctite ones. The problem is that the Moog can wear down the monoleaf where it rubs. There have been threads about that.

I'd get hte Loctite ones. I got those on my Cutlass and haven't had problems with it. As far as the sag, that also depends on the struts. The rear struts tend to compress down with time making the rear sag.

The Moog "pucks" are intended to be a "better" replacement than the original Dorman/Loctite ones.

I used to believe that, but no longer.  The two products do two different things.  The rubber pads, attached with adhesive, PROTECT the spring.  The white plastic "pucks" as you call them are a spring spacer that should raise the rear of the car by the thickness of the "puck".

I put the white plastic "pucks" on both my Luminas...now I have to go back in and add replacement rubber pads.

Thanks for all the info! I think I'm going with the black pads and start shopping around for replacement springs. I looked art mine closely and the springs are a bit worn at the ends but I'm also concerned with the cross members holding the springs. Aside from being horribly rusted, there's also some bends and twist in them.

You can try car-parts.com and search for a spring. That's how I found the used one in my garage. However at this point I'm a bit skeptical if it will do any better then my saggy one in my car. If your looking at a new spring flex a form does composite springs.

Birchmount out of Toronto Ontario Canada make one. $280 canadian + shipping.  You can get it lowered or stock height.   Many of us have these in our cars to lower the rear.  

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-parts-and-accessories/city-of-toronto/gmc-wbody-rear-lowering-spring/353719223?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info! I think I'm going with the black pads and start shopping around for replacement springs. I looked art mine closely and the springs are a bit worn at the ends but I'm also concerned with the cross members holding the springs. Aside from being horribly rusted, there's also some bends and twist in them.

You may be describing the lateral control arms with bends & twists. There are 4 of them, flat, straight bars.

The cross member (cradle, rear subframe) is one unit, like a bent girder about 33" long.

The Moog "pucks" are intended to be a "better" replacement than the original Dorman/Loctite ones. The problem is that the Moog can wear down the monoleaf where it rubs. There have been threads about that.

The Moog pucks are obviously much easier to fit, so "better" for dealer mechanics.

No epoxy mess & drying time, no disassembly. Maybe just slip them in below the worn rubber pad.

But the pucks can't protect the spring ends like the rubber pads.

You may be describing the lateral control arms with bends & twists. There are 4 of them, flat, straight bars.

The cross member (cradle, rear subframe) is one unit, like a bent girder about 33" long.

Correction - 34.5"

• 3 weeks later...

I replaced the rear shocks, trailing arms, stabilizing bar links and leaf spring pads. I'm so pleased with the way the car came up in the ass! The squeaking even improved. I think the last of the squeaking is coming from the lateral control arms. Apparently there are 2 rear rearward and 2 rear forward but only one or the other is available unless you go thru the dealer with a price tag of over $450 which puts that on the "job for another day" list. Hopefully our unseasonably weather holds out here and I'll get to the front next weekend

There is 4 of those lateral links in the back. I had to replace one of the links last week on the drivers side. I got the link for $60 plus tax from GM. Might want to try:

www.gmpartsonline.com 

They are fairly affordable. I believe you can actually replace the bushings. I believe you can get them from the major parts suppliers. 

• 7 years later...
On 10/17/2016 at 12:43 PM, Nas Escobar said:
On 10/20/2016 at 12:08 PM, Bake82 said:

Birchmount out of Toronto Ontario Canada make one. $280 canadian + shipping.  You can get it lowered or stock height.   Many of us have these in our cars to lower the rear.  

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-parts-and-accessories/city-of-toronto/gmc-wbody-rear-lowering-spring/353719223?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I'd get hte Loctite ones. I got those on my Cutlass and haven't had problems with it. As far as the sag, that also depends on the struts. The rear struts tend to compress down with time making the rear sag.

That Birchmount link didn't work.  Nor can I find it on Google.

I thought a lot of it depends on whether it's pre or post-92 production, in which the OE manufacturer of the monoleaf changed for the worse.  I understood 88-91 FE3 monoleafs not to sag.

On 10/17/2016 at 1:12 PM, W30olds said:

I'm replacing the monoleaf and plan on using the dorman replacements like the OEM style.

Dang...I didn't realize you could buy a NEW monoleaf!

On 10/17/2016 at 8:31 PM, Schurkey said:

I used to believe that, but no longer.  The two products do two different things.  The rubber pads, attached with adhesive, PROTECT the spring.  The white plastic "pucks" as you call them are a spring spacer that should raise the rear of the car by the thickness of the "puck".

Whoa!  I was not aware of this.  I understood the white pucks to do virtually nothing for ride height and dont even remember the rubber pads.