3rd Brake Lightbulb - 95 Vert

brianstarr58

• 2 weeks later...

Did not know this. Just got them last week for $9 a piece at O'Reilly's. 3 of them...... Ouch!

Same price at Canadian Tire. Yeah, Ouch.

• 5 months later...

I know the thread is a few months old...

I was just choking on $10/bulb x 3 for the third brake light.  I purchased 3 NOS GE 891 bulbs ($5/ea) and then one of them clouded up instantly and and is dimmer than the other two...  Now I am re-considering my options.

The 891 bulb spec is G4 Base 8W / 138Lumens.  And these little boogers get HOT!

Anybody tried the Philips 10W Equivalent Bright White (3000K) T3 Landscape Capsule LED Light Bulb with 105 Lumens from Home Depot for $5.97/ea?  Or the 20W version with 195 Lumens, same price?

Or Albrillo G4 LED Bulb Dimmable 1.5W, 20 Watt Halogen Bulbs Equivalent, AC DC 12V, Warm White, 4 Pack from Amazon for $15?  These were reviewed as being small and fitting tight/original spaces better than most LED versions.

My IROC uses a weird bulb back there...how difficult was it to cut the LED strip to use?  Might be a good mod for my Camaro, since the bulbs seem to have the half life of a Mayfly.

I had to drill a hole in the side of the third brake light housing to get the LED strip in there, then sealed it back up with silicone. 

Otherwise its actually plug and play.

I just used side cutters to cut it, there's a spot in the circuit where you can cut it and all the remaining LEDs will work.