new to the page...need motor rebuild information

kennyb13126

hi everybody...I just bought a really nice 92 red vert with a black top graphite interior. its going to need some work because it hasn't been driven in a few years...it was a nice barn find.

I'm having trouble with the top motor/pump. i think the motor is fried. my question is finding a replacement. it looks like a pump from a mustang will work hydraulically...lines will bolt up but the electrical wires will need to be changed...but its just a 2 wire setup like the cutlass. in my opinion, a pump is a pump, a motor is a motor...anybody ever tried making the swap? I can't seem to find a decent pump out there for a reasonable price

so after a lot of online research, unable to find a used GM pump, I bought a pump from a 1994 mustand off ebay. this was a 2 wire pump, just like my original, although I had to change the wiring connector. the fittings for the hydraulic lines were the same, and they connected with no issues....even the 4 rubber grommets holding the pump to the mounting bracket lined up perfectly. the pump/motor itself was a little smaller in diameter than the original, but once I wired it in everything worked perfect...top goes up and down as it should. one thing I noticed was that my wiring connector looked a little melted inside, so it was a good idea that I changed this anyway,and may be another thing you guys want to troubleshoot before you replace the pump...maybe this was part of the reason my pump wasn't working. I'm still going to take the old motor to an electrical shop and have it rebuilt for a spare, or to sell...good luck with your motor repair.

• Like 2

Interesting. Most people go to the Cavalier when they want top parts for their Cutlass. If what you did is true, then that means theoretically replacement pumps should be available for a long time seeing that 94 was the SN95 years.

Nice! Awhile back we were talking about pin cup replacements and I found some Mustang ones that looked like they would be similar to ours but didn't order them, with the luck you are having I think I`ll order a pair and try out. Looks like we`ll need to keep a lookout for convertible mustangs in the yards for parts now.

Nice! Awhile back we were talking about pin cup replacements and I found some Mustang ones that looked like they would be similar to ours but didn't order them, with the luck you are having I think I`ll order a pair and try out. Looks like we`ll need to keep a lookout for convertible mustangs in the yards for parts now.

and sebrings for makeshift seals.

i couldnt find anything locally that would work that was worth spending my money on...at the junkyards want 125 plus for a gm pump. while i was looking at mustang youtubes the pumps looked the same, and the one i bought on ebay said 1994-1998 so i thought it was worth a try...and it worked. so good luck out there...it looked like sebrings pumps were similar to...next time i'm at a pick  and pull i'm going to check them out...love my cutlass....