1999 GTP Sunroof not closing

rich_e777

Have a odd issue all the sudden with the sunroof in my GTP. The sunroof will only slide back when you push the switch and will then go forward but only if its moved all the way back first. Then it will still not go all the forward and close.

Before It would sometimes automatically slide back on its own and other times I have to hold the switch down and it will mostly stop halfway back and then go again when I let up off the switch and press it again. From reading around some derelict links from google searches it seems there was a GM bulletin put out about this but I cannot find it yet, its also been mentioned to change the motor out to fix the issue.

Any ideas what to check first?

Ive been worried about rust in that area since I got the car and keep it clean. I use just a multi purpose grease for the tracks and checked to make sure there wasn't a blockage. I also didn't hear the motor trying to run when it did refuse to move.

The very next day it worked fine, so I closed it and the shield until I can drop the headliner. The majority of things I read(lots of 4th gen and Impy stuff) point to the motor burning out but that wouldn't explain why it would stop at a specific point yet still move. I was thinking BCM but it doesn't appear to be connected to it. I saw a GTP at the yard with a sunroof I thought to grab the switch off of to see if that would help and I have several rocker switches I could probably use instead.

The BCM is not connected to the sunroof it is totally independent.

The sunroofs are flaky.  I would use extremely thin grease, nothing thick like most multipurpose is. My 97 GTP just would not operate correctly unless the tracks were spotless with a light coat of lube.  If it can't move the glass easily, it just doesn't seem to want to try any harder.

Might be the switch. The one in my 04 is bad, I have to hit it over and over to get it to close, it slides a little each time and finally does close. The tracks are fine and the motor is fine, the switch just likely has bad contacts.

Might be the switch. The one in my 04 is bad, I have to hit it over and over to get it to close, it slides a little each time and finally does close. The tracks are fine and the motor is fine, the switch just likely has bad contacts.

That's what mine does too.  It goes into the vent position fine, and slides back fine...but on the return trip to close it'll travel an inch..stop..another inch...stop...couple inches...stop..a centimeter...stop.  So one day I told it to fuck itself, and I left it closed lol. 

dafuq? you have a second gen now? see what happens when I don't log on for close to a year? lol

Oh yeah and sort of regret not doing it sooner. I`ll bump the thread later tonight so you can find it and check it out, its come a long way from the way it was when I bought it. To bad it wasn't owned by folks who cared for it like the Vert I bought from Galaxie but its a project in the making. We met up earlier this year and I keep it in the garage, its having a few things done as well including a new top before next spring. Trying not to accumulate to many more but damn buying cars is fun.

That's what mine does too.  It goes into the vent position fine, and slides back fine...but on the return trip to close it'll travel an inch..stop..another inch...stop...couple inches...stop..a centimeter...stop.  So one day I told it to fuck itself, and I left it closed lol. 

We are in the same boat right now, I got it closed watching dark clouds roll in and just left it until I can drop the headliner. Earlier I got ballsy and tried it out and it worked just fine the entire way open and the full travel closed. Fully automatic back but I had to hold the switch down to get it to go back forward and close. Does the sunroof have an auto feature like that? If not then that's got to be a short.

Edited by rich_e777