Going to fix the saggy rear end

W30olds

Talked to Tony. He has the factory springs in stock. Which is awesome. His price is $240 for the spring plus shipping to Georgia. Guess I need to decide if I want to do this project on the car and if it's worth it. As far as the rear sway bar Rich the Addco guy told me it would work on the 95 cars. Of course it was a salesman, so I'm in the same boat as you on if the thing will fit! Goodtimes

Have you checked the spring code on your leaf?

On the two I have, the codes are stamped about 5.5 to 6 inches from one end of the spring, on the bottom surface.

Not sure if this is visible when installed, but it should be. Might need to scrub it clean.

The date of manufacture is there too in finer print.

Perhaps if you bought a stiffer one (near the top of the scale) from a junk yard, it would do the job.

Have you checked the spring code on your leaf?

On the two I have, the codes are stamped about 5.5 to 6 inches from one end of the spring, on the bottom surface.

Not sure if this is visible when installed, but it should be. Might need to scrub it clean.

The date of manufacture is there too in finer print.

Perhaps if you bought a stiffer one (near the top of the scale) from a junk yard, it would do the job.

GM told me it's the FE3 spring via my VIN#. I know when the rear struts were changed the shop put on some Gabriel brand and ever since then Ive had the rubbing when their are people in the back. So I ordered a set of KYB's for the rear which are what I put in the front. GM advised me to change the struts with a set that were OEM or better. They told me unless the spring is damaged somehow then it's more than likely the softer struts. I've inspected the monoleaf and have not found any damage. So hopefully the GM tech is correct. Will find out once the struts are changed.

I've had Gabriel Ultra for a long time with no problems.

Awesome. Does your car have the FE3 suspension? GM told me that was the stiffer setup. Springs, struts, swaybars, etc. which I'm familiar with. Maybe the gabriel struts don't have enough damping for my suspension. I dunno.

Awesome. Does your car have the FE3 suspension? GM told me that was the stiffer setup. Springs, struts, swaybars, etc. which I'm familiar with. Maybe the gabriel struts don't have enough damping for my suspension. I dunno.

My RPO code sticker was gone long before I got it.I imagine it would be FE1 in a Regal 4 door.

My Cutlass convertible had the FE3...I loved the KYB GR-2 struts I put on it, and they did raise the rear a bit.

Awesome! Hopefully that is all that I need to fix my saggy rear! I know when I did the front cartridges it made a huge difference.

My RPO code sticker was gone long before I got it.I imagine it would be FE1 in a Regal 4 door.

Wasn't the FE1 the softer suspension set up.....if that's the case the softer Gabriel struts would be fine.

GM told me it's the FE3 spring via my VIN#.

Given that there are 15 different FE3 springs (stiff to stiffer), 

(see post #3 http://www.w-body.com/topic/55211-seeking-monoleaf-spring/ )

that may not be the whole story. 

Of the two I have, the stiffer one is about 1/32 inch thicker.

I expect each of the 15 different springs has a different load (lbs.) rating, so how do Flexform & Birchmont compare?

Obviously not all FE3s are the same. But how much do they differ?

GM advised me to change the struts with a set that were OEM or better. They told me unless the spring is damaged somehow then it's more than likely the softer struts. I've inspected the monoleaf and have not found any damage. So hopefully the GM tech is correct. Will find out once the struts are changed.

I may be rejecting conventional board wisdom, but how do struts change body ride height?

My new (last fall) Monroe Sensatrac struts exert about 10 lbs. positive piston pressure each. Not much.

I thought all (99% +) body weight was supported by the springs.

If a temp. ride height improvement (rubbing tires) was the short term goal, boosting the spring seats might do the job.

This would mean thicker pucks (homemade from nylon block?) at the spindles, or as some have posted, 

a combination of the glued-on rubber pads with the nylon pucks.

I've inspected the monoleaf and have not found any damage. 

Something else. My old spring is only damaged at the ends, where it has worn quite thin, presumably from rubbing on the spindle seats in the absence of nylon pucks (before my time). About 3/16 inch wear in the form of a step at the outer 2" of both ends. Hard to see without close inspection. At least one end was starting to split, a sign of further weakness only evident after removal. Otherwise there is no sign of damage or wear, looks great, though the spring is about to split.

GM told me it's the FE3 spring via my VIN#.

Given that there are 15 different FE3 springs (stiff to stiffer),

(see post #3 http://www.w-body.com/topic/55211-seeking-monoleaf-spring/ )

that may not be the whole story.

Of the two I have, the stiffer one is about 1/32 inch thicker.

I expect each of the 15 different springs has a different load (lbs.) rating, so how do Flexform & Birchmont compare?

Obviously not all FE3s are the same. But how much do they differ?

GM advised me to change the struts with a set that were OEM or better. They told me unless the spring is damaged somehow then it's more than likely the softer struts. I've inspected the monoleaf and have not found any damage. So hopefully the GM tech is correct. Will find out once the struts are changed.

I may be rejecting conventional board wisdom, but how do struts change body ride height?

My new (last fall) Monroe Sensatrac struts exert about 10 lbs. positive piston pressure each. Not much.

I thought all (99% +) body weight was supported by the springs.

If a temp. ride height improvement (rubbing tires) was the short term goal, boosting the spring seats might do the job.

This would mean thicker pucks (homemade from nylon block?) at the spindles, or as some have posted,

a combination of the glued-on rubber pads with the nylon pucks.

I get what your saying. I'm not 100% sold on what the GM service guy has told me. I believe the monoleaf is the reason for the sagging mainly. I need to get the part # off the leaf and check the spring rate so I can get the correct one made. I believe the struts and the monoleaf not having the same integrity now is my problem.

Ordered a spring from birchmount after reading the reviews. So when it arrives will get in installed. Also have new KYB rear shocks, Addco swaybar, and some ES poly bushings sitting in the garage to install with the spring. Meanwhile I had the misfire diagnosed and fixed. Runs perfect now. Just waiting on the spring so I can finish the suspension upgrades.

don't be so sure on that......a friend on my fb has a 96 regal 4 door. his still has the rpo tag and it was fe3. telltale sign would be a 34 mm front sway

• Like 2

don't be so sure on that......a friend on my fb has a 96 regal 4 door. his still has the rpo tag and it was fe3. telltale sign would be a 34 mm front sway

Hmm, I'll have to check it. The monoleaf is shot regardless, but it would be interesting to know if it was.

I'm thinking spring grade would be determined first by vehicle weight,

secondly by handling package/sport model.

My 4 door Regal had an RFL spring, second to the top of the FE3 scale.

:thumbsup: - thanks, hope it was an easy find n fix!

I actually had my local mechanic guy find and fix it. I had zero idea what was wrong once I did the tune-up and nothing changed. Kinda freaked out and had it repaired. Glad I did though. It runs like a new car now!

Well spring has arrived. Man its heavy. I found one locally in the wrecking yard. It's out of an SE 1994 model. I'm going this week to look at it before I decide to use this metal style. If the fiberglass one is in good condition believe I will grab it and send the metal one back for a refund. The wrecked SE has 80k on the suspension. If the springs the right one that will be amazing! So now I have 2 new rear KYB shocks, addco bar and when I figure out the leaf I can get the saggy back end all buttoned up.