Drivers side cooling fan issues

W30olds

Noticed car running warm at the stopark light today. Got home and noticed the drivers side fan is not coming on. Passenger side works fine with the AC running. I checked all fuses and relays. Replaced the coolant temp sensor and still no fan. Again sitting in driveway without AC running car gets pretty hot. The passenger side finally comes on, but no driver fan. So now wanted to ask what to check next. Only thing's left would be the fan motor, or ECM. If the ECM was faulty wouldn't I be having other issues beside the fan? No check engine light. So I'm sorta leaning towards the fan motor. Thoughts??

Thanks,

Andy

open the electrical Center and swap the relays to see if the relay went bad and check the fan fuses. if you have a voltmeter or a test light you can check for power at the fan plug once the engine gets hot enough that it should be on

open the electrical Center and swap the relays to see if the relay went bad and check the fan fuses. if you have a voltmeter or a test light you can check for power at the fan plug once the engine gets hot enough that it should be on

Thank you sir. I will do that right now. Will get back to you on this.Will disable the pass side fan and see if swapping the relay makes it fire up.

Swapped the relays. No change. I know both relays are good now. Ohmed all fuses. Good. Guess tomorrow I will check for power to the fan plug. Anyone know how many volts I should get at the fan plug?

Thanks!

Something close to your system voltage. If you have a meter you can check the connection to the fan, either 30 or 87 on the relay goes to it, and the black wire goes to ground

I jumped 30 and 87 out on both fans at the fuse box. Passenger side fan ran, but drivers didnt. I did check power there and had 13.8VDC so the fan is getting power at the fuse block. Looking like the fan might be bad. I'm going to try to straight wire the fan to the battery and make sure it's bad tomorrow. But my guess is the fan motor is burnt up. Honestly I'm not sure when it quit. It's been kinda cool here the last few days, but Thursday I noticed while sitting at the red light it began to run pretty hot and usually it doesn't do that. That's when I realized only one fan was working. Who knows. I seem to get the Gremlins all at once with the car.

Can you route fan 1 plug to Fan 2? San one is the one that you need to actually cool the engine and drive the car until you can get a new fan so if you can make the other fan run in its place you can buy yourself some timeor see if you can get fan 2 physically moved over to fan 1

may have to open up the harness bundle a bit(and leave the fan connector's wiring out of it) to get the connector to reach, I'm trying to visualize the last time I had a 1/1.5 w-body underhood harness apart, but I'm pretty sure there was enough room for that. either that, or extend the wiring if you feel like soldering 10 gauge wires.

I have a similar issue to yours but what Ive found is that my fans do not get the signal to turn on at the temp automatically but will come on when the AC is set to full blast or jumped from the battery. Which either means 1 of 3 things, bad wire, bad temp sensor, or bad ECM. I`m hoping its one of the first two.

I have a fan coming today from the parts store. Hopefully I can get it changed out over the weekend. Guess I'll have to drive the GTO. Darn it all.....thanks guys for your help

Guess I'll have to drive the GTO. Darn it all

I had what I thought was a funny comeback but then started thinking if I had a classic like that I wouldn't want to drive it on these public roads with the generally retarded public anyways.

But the Goats legs might need some stretching and the general public deserves some whip lash from the head turns that thing generates. :dance:

I had what I thought was a funny comeback but then started thinking if I had a classic like that I wouldn't want to drive it on these public roads with the generally retarded public anyways.

But the Goats legs might need some stretching and the general public deserves some whip lash from the head turns that thing generates. :dance:

It's a 2006 GTO and unfortunately not a classic GTO. However it's a fun to drive. 6.0 and 6 speed trans. It will haul. Not the best on gas but who cares. I hear the mountains of North Georgia calling my name today

Verified the motor was bad. Now waiting for the parts to arrive at the parts store. Hopefully I won't have any more issues for awhile with this thing. Thanks guys for the info.

I have a similar issue to yours but what Ive found is that my fans do not get the signal to turn on at the temp automatically but will come on when the AC is set to full blast or jumped from the battery. Which either means 1 of 3 things, bad wire, bad temp sensor, or bad ECM. I`m hoping its one of the first two.

Man that sucks. I just check all that stuff out myself. Could be the CTS. It's cheap and fairly easy to change. If that dosent fix it maybe take it somewhere and have the scan tool check the ECM out. Good luck man.

Do you have access to a scan tool they can tell you coolant temperature?

also the green wire should be getting a ground by the computer and not power it's a sinking control

Well the dumb asses at Autozone ordered the wrong side fan assembly. Told them like 4 times I needed the DRIVERS side fan. I asked them 3 times to make sure its the drivers side. Get the part and guess what? That's right it's the passenger fan in the box. Thankfully I have tomorrow off and hopefully can get the car back together. Man our Autozone here next to me blows.

what year is your cutlass again?

It's a 2006 GTO and unfortunately not a classic GTO. However it's a fun to drive. 6.0 and 6 speed trans. It will haul. Not the best on gas but who cares. I hear the mountains of North Georgia calling my name today

IMHO they never had a bad car with GTO on it, '66 to '06 they were all sweet rides.

Well the dumb asses at Autozone ordered the wrong side fan assembly. Told them like 4 times I needed the DRIVERS side fan. I asked them 3 times to make sure its the drivers side. Get the part and guess what? That's right it's the passenger fan in the box. Thankfully I have tomorrow off and hopefully can get the car back together. Man our Autozone here next to me blows.

Sorry about that, I seem to work at the only AutoZone that gives a damn and would have insisted we make sure on the car before you bought that part. Get me the store number if you can, should be a 3 to 5 digit number identifying the store in our system. My AZ has taken so much commercial business from other stores in the area my district and regional mangers bonuses are at our mercy. We can make things happen.

what year is your cutlass again?

This one would be the 1994, good to see you stop in once in awhile.

Sorry about that, I seem to work at the only AutoZone that gives a damn and would have insisted we make sure on the car before you bought that part. Get me the store number if you can, should be a 3 to 5 digit number identifying the store in our system. My AZ has taken so much commercial business from other stores in the area my district and regional mangers bonuses are at our mercy. We can make things happen.

This one would be the 1994, good to see you stop in once in awhile.

No worries. They made it right. Just glad I talked to a manager who gave a shit. He had the best attitude and helped me out. Got the correct fan today. All installed and works perfect.

Glad I finally was able to get the GP up and running again. It runs sooo much better now the cooling fans are both operational. Keeps her nice and cool while sitting in the traffic. Not sure how long it's not functioned correctly, but I'm glad I found the problem and got it repaired before overheating the engine.

• Like 2

our junk ass radiators don't need any help leaking from where the tank goes to the aluminum

I hear that. Why the hell did GM make such a tiny ass radiator for these cars? On mine in particular other than the little grilles in the bumper there's not much area to get air in the front to cool. Then there is the weak ass single row radiator's tucked in there. I had a 2000 GP and it had the same weak ass one row radiator. Must be a GM thing.