Changing rear.mono leaf spring

W30olds

Does anyone have any input on how to go about doing this? Can't seem to find any info on Google. For those who have done this themselves how did you go about doing it? Can it be done at home or is it a job for a auto shop? Thanks in advance!

Am in the middle of this job right now, at home, on grass.

All parts off - Missing one part (spring), some paint. And mostly, time to re-assemble.

(I went one step further and removed the rear cross-member (sub-frame /  cradle) which holds the leaf spring.)

I found the following thread very instructive, post #34 on page 2, by member BXX.

It outlines the tools you will need and order of disassembly, though geared to a coilover conversion, so more involved.

http://www.w-body.com/topic/37599-coilovers-adj-mounts-solid-cradle-bushings-update-325-design-done/page-2?hl=coilovers?

Unfortunately I don't think he got around to posting pics with it.

I'd say get underneath first for a good visual of how it fits together.

Check that your crossmember is in good shape too. (Georgia, not too rusty, I hope)

I will post a photo of this later tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks 95GS for the info. I'm pretty sure the monoleaf is going bad. I replaced the rear struts and when I have people in the back seat the tires will scrub the wheel wells. If I'm the only one in the car and make a sharp turn into the driveway I can hear the tires hit slightly. I did check the end pads and they are ok. Being in Georgia I don't have any underbody rust. Thanks again for the info sir!

• 1 month later...

I will post a photo of this later tonight or tomorrow.

My apologies for missing that deadline(!). Posting photos is not habitual, but I realized that my pics were crossmember related, not your focus or an answer to your question

So I took these a few days later to show it could be a home job - my front end on ramps, rear on logs @ 17" high.

The white block is a 4 x 4, channeled-out to spread load & avoid deforming any weak steel.

post-9815-0-68603900-1476122810_thumb.jpg

post-9815-0-80336000-1476122998_thumb.jpg

Thanks for sharing! I'm going to have my local shop do this repair. I don't have the correct tools or air compressor to use on the shock bolts. He's only charging me $120 to do this and the replacement KYB''s while he's back there. Plus he will have it done in a day. Thanks for your help!