Dyno test of a cone filter vs. drop in boxed filter

Dannymik

I just read about this on the web and wanted to share it with everyone that has questioned this issue as I have!

Cone filter(not a CAI) vs. a boxed filter

Definantly, look into the throttle body, BUT NOT A CONE FILTER (if you have one already, I apoligize, but it will be about 10 minutes before I will see you pictures). I just got back from the dyno, and I did 2 runs. One with a stock airbox, and one with a cone. With the cone, there was a 6 HP GAIN, but a 12 lb/ft LOSS. What you gain in HP is not worth losing TWICE THE TORQUE. Basically, if you have two exacctly same cars, one with a cone, the other with a box, the box will beat you. In most races, you need to have the higher bottom end just to get off the line. If you have a lot of top, but no bottom, you get a sucky time at a good MPH. If you have a good balance, then you just kick ass period.

My cone filter could end up on Ebay unless if I can get develop a CAI!

i beg to differ on whoever mentioned that on the web. a CAI is false theory and is just plain out stupid to follow. a fellow GPer did a test. he has a '94 Prix with the 3100 and a cone intake from MandSproduction.com.

since the car is on a dyno, the only time you usually have a fan blowing right into the front of the car is if you have a turbo, supercharger, or an almighty powerful motor. so you dont get true on the road results because obviously, while driving, you have outside air flowing into your engine bay.

anyway....

with his GP he plug his car into a computer and watched his AIT. yes, at a stop the air going into the engine gradually got warmer because air wasnt flowing into his engine. however, when he started driving, it took only short moments for the air going into his intake to reach a whole 2 degrees warmer than the outside temperature.

with that said, the whole CAI and short ram intake theories are completely scewed.

I understand what you are stating about the CAI. This guy was just trying to imply that a regular cone filter intake insn't the best solution. I had a cone filter in my Cutlass for about a month this summer, but took it out due to the loss in torque. I did like the sound of it at 3500Rpms though!

I understand what you are stating about the CAI. This guy was just trying to imply that a regular cone filter intake insn't the best solution. I had a cone filter in my Cutlass for about a month this summer, but took it out due to the loss in torque. I did like the sound of it at 3500Rpms though!

i havent noticed a loss of torque in my car.

I have a feeling if we put the stock airbox back on the GTP it would loose a good 10-20hp. A cone filter is going to flow better, period. It may not give a power gain, but that is just because of the increase in Intake Air Temperature. So put a box around it, and you will gain HP & Torque. Our GTP's Intake Air Temperature is consistantly ~3 degrees warmer than the outside air temperature because the box is insulated well. If we put the stock box back on, the intake air temperature would be warmer, and it would have like 1/4 the flow.

BTW...You can't really test air intakes on a dyno because you don't have the air being forced into the air intake at the speed the car is going.

I think a supercharged/turbocharged engine needs to suck in as much air (warm or cold) as possible to get the most power. An n/a motor can't be sucking in its own warm air, so a box might work better for that engine.. hard to say, just an idea.

A turbocharged/supercharged engine needs to take in as cold air as possible. The compressing of air increases its temperatrue, and high air temps cause detonation.

Also, cold air is actually more dense, so with the same volume of cold air and warm air, the cold air will actually contain more oxygen.

What do you mean by "can't be sucking in it's own warm air"? If your cone filter is located directly next to your exhaust manifold, it does affect the temperature of air the engine takes in..

Will someone fill me in on what a CAI is? I always thought it stood for Cone Air Intake, but based on this thread, there seems to be a difference between a CAI and a regular cone filter. Can somebody explain?

CAI = Cold Air Intake i believe

I like my stock air box with K&N drop in and the holes. It growls nicely, and I have gotten comments by friends who left for college that i saw last weekend and asked what i have done to my car. I also noticed a decent gain in power with the holes/K&N.

I just got the FFP Dogbone, i like it. I love the vibrating in the car, just makes it sound a lot meaner and feels like you got a loud ass V8. It sounds louder when I really get on the gas, i put her 3/4 down today when the roads were nice took her to 5grand and she went nicely.

If the track test is done you gotta make sure the drivers are even in skill. A bad driver would have a worser time than a good driver. Duh lol

I think the test should be done on the same car, with an auto tran.