Wheel Spin

Grandprix1

Quick question regarding the 2nd gen 97-03 Grand Prix GT and up. When spinning the wheels is only one wheel actually driven or is both front wheels driven. When i've spun them it does not pull to one side so im thing both wheels are driven.

Thanks

Grandprix1

still an open differential unless someone stuck either an insert in there or full limited-slip diff.

I've seen plenty of 4t60/65 cars do it, I think the reasoning behind it as it was explained to me was that with an open differential(which transfers equal torque to both wheels at all times, even with differing angular velocity) you had to either lose traction at both tires in the same instant(somewhat unlikely but possible) or one tire starts spinning first and the weight transfer that occurs allows for the differential to have both tires spinning at roughly equal speeds.

but differentials are somewhat voodoo to me.

Open differential cars don't pull to one side when spinning the wheels. If they do, that's torque steer and that's limited to FWD cars.

You can hold the e-brake and do a burn out all day, and you wouldn't realize you're doing a one wheel peel until you let go of the brake and decelerate the car (let it run out of momentum after laying down rubber). By then you'd see the depressing mark you left.

My Camaro was open differential. Never pulled to the sides and didn't realize it was open differential until I laid down some serious rubber.

Both my G20 and Cutlass are open differentials as well. The G20 being manual however helps. It's easier to get both wheels spinning at the same time in a manual. It's also a lot easier to make the wheels spin for a burnout in a manual.

Through the years people have done everything from welding the spiders to putting one airlift on the wheel that spins, to adding a real LSD or Locker. Is really essential for a drag oracer or autocrosser particularly with RWD (lets you steer with the back end).

Think there is a LSD available for the 4T65E but am not sure, Judge is the only car I have with one thought the Jeep traction control works pretty good.

Ok so I think what I'm getting is that under certain conditions such as a burn out it will spin 2 wheels at the same speed and then under different conditions it's only driving one wheel. Plus I didn't think it was possible to do a burn out on the GPs. I don't think I would trust the parking brake or if it's even that strong to hold 200hp

Haha breaking things is not what i want to do. not even 40k miles yet. Since we are on the topic of differentials and burn outs has anyone ever dynoed a GP? If so what were your results. I think for mine its 200 from the factory and then plus a cold air intake im going to assume probably 205-210.