engine support while changing mounts

worb4me

1998 Gp Gt

Haynes calls cor a support fixture thing. So a block of wood and a floor jack isn't sufficient to support the engine while swapping mounts? I had to do the timing belt on my old Le Baron, which required totally removing the left engine mount bracket thing to gain access to and remove the timing cover, and all I used was a jack and I think a beefy magazine or book between it and the oil pan. Whaddaya think? Should I rent or buy the overhead support fixtures?

If you cannot keep it level make sure the front is pointing up hill, makes it alot easier to align the mounts when lowering it.

LOWER IT SLOWLY!

The drivers side is cake, the passenger's side is a bit harder to unbolt on mine from what I remember. Of course I'm running an aluminium oil pan that doesn't have as much clearance distance to the U-Bracket.

Another option I have seen done is to use a cherry picker.  If you have one, lift the engine.  The guy I know who did it used to swear that lifting by the oil pan would make it more prone to leak.  I don't nec agree, but if you have a cherry picker available, its pretty easy to do as well.  

The thing about the oil pan thing is that you risk denting it. Wouldn't leak though unless you shift it out of place.

• 2 weeks later...

My oil pan already has a significant dent in it. Hope I can get the drain plug out.

Can you change the gasket on these cars if need be w/o the subframe, cross member or whatever gettiing in the way? All I know is it's a horror on the 3400 Ventures.

Anyway I may have exaggerated the movement and I may not need sf bushings.bl One was dry rotted, but otherwise I don't have immediate concers. I did change the dog bones in front.