02 GP Performance Shift

Grandprix1

Sorry, just seeing this now.

I can send that sure, PM me your address and I'll throw it in the mail.

You'll just need to pull up the pinout for the pcm that shows it existing, and push it down in. I'm sure you can find some guides on adding a pin to your PCM, but its not hard to do. 

here's a old guide I found:

http://web.archive.org/web/20100324141300/http://grandprixforums.net/perf_shift.php

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what the tool is called or could post a link preferably amazon of where you can get a PCM pin removal tool. I screwed up the one pigtail I got cause it wouldn't go in all the way. I'll probably need quite a few so if I can pull a few out of the junk yard that would be helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know what the tool is called or could post a link preferably amazon of where you can get a PCM pin removal tool. I screwed up the one pigtail I got cause it wouldn't go in all the way. I'll probably need quite a few so if I can pull a few out of the junk yard that would be helpful

A tiny screwdriver or something to push in the little plastic barb on either end of the clearish/colored plastic cover and a thumbnail to pick up the little white plastic finger at each pin. ALWAYS DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BEFORE UNPLUGGING A PCM

So that clear plastic piece does come off. I was trying but couldn't get it. What could happen if you don't disconnect the battery

Yeah, the clear plastic covers have a little white plastic barb on either end. Push them in and the clear cover will slide off, that's a secondary lock for the pins. Then each pin has a little white finger pushed against them, if you're inserting a pin all you do is take a tiny screwdriver and puncture the rubber seal for that hole from the back and then push the pin in from the back.

The gray covers come off too, a pair of pliers for the four on the corners to unhook the barbs and then a small screwdriver to unhook the 2 barbs in the center. Then you can read the pin numbers cast into the aluminum.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this thread again. It's almost done trust me. I've got all the stuff just got to wire and then tune. How do the indicators work?

Is the DIC just looking for the ground pin as well as the gauge cluster? Or is there something else going on

Not a big deal take your time. I actually find pins so I may try my hand at making a few as well. I got a brand new shift know from GM never been opened. Has the button on the side. Next is to get the PCM retuned and then see if it works

I hate to start a very similar thread while this is still going so I apologize about this slight derailment.

I`m actually wanting to switch to a different shift knob design, maybe to one of a T design like my Cutlai? Before I go trying to wire in an aftermarket toggle elsewhere, does anyone happen to know of any other shift knobs with similar toggle that can be used? Not necessarily exclusive to GM.

I hate to start a very similar thread while this is still going so I apologize about this slight derailment.

I`m actually wanting to switch to a different shift knob design, maybe to one of a T design like my Cutlai? Before I go trying to wire in an aftermarket toggle elsewhere, does anyone happen to know of any other shift knobs with similar toggle that can be used? Not necessarily exclusive to GM.

I'm not sure who else has them. The one I got from GM was the last one that the parts department could get. There was another in the local JY on a GTP that thing was cared for let me tell you that. Headers pulley res delete etc. It was in great shape along with the rest of the interior. I'd grab it for you if u wanted it but I'm stuck at school till late for the next 2 weeks

I appreciate the offer, want to grab the other stuff? LOL.

Nothing at all is wrong with the one I have, absolutely nothing and I probably shouldn't even bother with it. Just interested in what else may fit mainly for cosmetic purposes. I need to go to the JY to see if theres anything I suddenly must have now, sounds like a hell of a find you got there.

Yeah I wanted to grab the engine out of it. Someone started but looked like the decided to leave it. L36 works great. Only had 111k miles on it. I would love to have taken the whole car and fixed it up. Needed windshield and a few dents popped.

I am installing everything today. I will try to remember to take pictures and do a write up on this if it's wanted. Im sure I'm not the first nor the last that's going to want to add this

Im trying to order the shift knob from GM. We think we found one with the button. If thats the case then i will send the PCM back to ZZP to have it retuned for performance shift. Whats wrong with their tunes? I like the way mine turned out and all there stuff seems decent quality.

while some of zzps stuff is decent quality a large chunk of their products are pure crap. Even my ssic was cast from low quality poreous aluminum. As for their tunes they run overly rich. I have literally left their pcms where I found them in the jy even when they were tuned for a similar setup to mine

ZZP is hit or miss.  Their tunes (as are most canned tunes) are dog shit.  If all you care about is moving transmission tables around, I'd just spend the extra money on an AVT box and change whatever you want whenever you want.  I also see no reason at all to run a tune on an L36 car, but that's just me.

X2 Canned tunes are shit, if you built exactly the same engine as the engine it was written on and operated it at the same altitude and all as where it was written it would be close but that's not realistic.

The Tunercat OBDII box is cheaper and it works with the same software, but Tunercat OBDII software is a lot more fun to use.

Edited by Imp558

What is tunercat? Can someone post a link to what I'd need? I've always wanted to learn how to tune myself but hpTuners is WAY out of my price range. Sucks being a high school senior about to be a broke college student. That's interesting that ZZP tunes run rich. I've actually gotten better gas mileage off that tune then the factory tune.

Ok every thing is wired up and in the car. I'm waiting on the PCM from ZZP. When I push the button to ground out the pin nothing shows up on the DIC indicating the pin has been grounded to active performance shift. Is that normal until the PCM gets tuned again? I'm assuming it's been deleted from the PCM so the DIC doesn't recognize it.

Ok so then when it's tuned for it then that valve should be changed and the light should come on. I'm assuming the DIC is looking for a signal from the PCM

Ok that's what I thought. So theoretically when the PCM has been tuned to allow that mode to be turned on it will then send that information via serial data through the other system to inform the driver that this has been activated and change the shift tables