UA-65274002-1 Jump to content
digitaloutsider

2016 Fall W-body Meet - September 16-18 - Maumee, OH INFO THREAD

(because I refuse to refer to anything as "space bobby")

Well, with September only a couple of months away, we should probably start planning this.  It sounds like the Toledo location worked out pretty well from the general positive feedback I've seen.  Any other serious locations up for debate?  If Toledo is working out for us, and they can continue to block off rooms properly, the best plan is probably not trying to fix what isn't broke.

What are you guys thinking?

Edit 8/25/2016:  Hotel is confirmed

The confirmed group rate is 69.99 for the second floor rooms (no fridge or microwave I believe) and 74.99 for the first floor with fridge and microwave.  This rate is for a virtual "block" of rooms (although we will work to ensure everyone is together on the back of the hotel where we usually are) and will not go up even if hotel occupancy changes.  I called and tried to haggle about the price, but that was their reasoning for why it is what it is.  To book at this rate, make a reservation under the "W BODY" group. Folks can book online, but I don't know how they are about putting you in the back of the hotel or not.  Seems to be a crapshoot.

Red Roof Inn #046

1570 Reynolds Road

Maumee, OH 43537

(419) 893-0292

Friday, September 16, 2016 to Sunday, September 18, 2016

Depending on the weekend I may or may not be able to make it. If I do it'll be for the Saturday only. Baby #2 is due Sept 9th. Busy times.

Toledo worked out good for the June meet. I would personally call it a success.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

A)they've never blocked off rooms properly lol and B) as much as Toledo "works" imo it's getting kind of stale. We tried to move it last year and that kinda bombed, but I think a lot of that was the hotel. I would like to see June be our Toledo norm, and possibly use September as the time to move it around and/or find a different location for future meets. That being said, Toledo does seem to "work", I just think we should mix it up a bit. Although I wouldn't be heartbroken if nobody agreed with me

A)they've never blocked off rooms properly lol and B) as much as Toledo "works" imo it's getting kind of stale. We tried to move it last year and that kinda bombed, but I think a lot of that was the hotel. I would like to see June be our Toledo norm, and possibly use September as the time to move it around and/or find a different location for future meets. That being said, Toledo does seem to "work", I just think we should mix it up a bit. Although I wouldn't be heartbroken if nobody agreed with me

Well what would you suggest?

I think the real issue here is that not a lot of us are near the same area. I personally would suggest Baltimore or the DC suburbs (since hotels in DC itself would be expensive). Would give us things to do but wouldn't be car related (and I personally think the whole monument thing is overplayed). Of course I know the area so it would be easier for me to say that than say a random city in Ohio and end up being a situation with nothing to do. 

This is the very first time that they did the rooms right.  We had 5 or 6 rooms side-by-side and as a result absolutely zero noise complaints, and we weren't talking softly or anything, and were outside till late hours of the night.  One of the things that has kept this meet in Toledo is the cheap room rates.  That's kinda gone now.

Al and I were talking about moving the meet to Erie for the fall, for a change in venue.  Hotel availability/pricing will continue to be something that would prohibit Erie as a location.

I wouldn't mind moving it more towards central Ohio or even closer to PA, but I'd like to find somewhere with lots of room for pictures and whatnot. The park we normally go to is decent but we're always fighting for spots unless we get lucky. I always thought the lot behind that hotel would be a decent place for pics and a parking lot cookout

I'm not opposed to moving it, Hell, Erie is but 1.5 hours from me. I just don't have the time like I used to have I'd also be relying on other peoples work, and having to have someone help coordinate it. 

Its easy to say, yeah lets move it. But who wants to take an active role in doing it is my question.

I'm fine with moving it, but there are a number of logistics involved in the process, namely finding a venue that isn't a dumpster fire.  Obviously, I can't be everywhere and personally vet out a new place.  This is why there's certainly some safety in leaving it in Toledo. People are mentioning prices. Did the prices go up in June? I'd say it's worth a small premium assuming they properly block the rooms off and we can repeat the success of the last meet.

I'd consider Erie if we're actually able to get enough people to drive out for it.  Western Ohio is just one of those places where it's just cheap enough for most people to show up.

I'm thinking that the poster is already made my a third party and it clearly states: "Space Bobby"

I have full rights to ignore Tim Schoeckel whenever I see fit.

I definitely don't mind it being in Toledo as it's fairly close to me, but I'd be willing to make the drive out assuming that I can hopefully make it. September is both busy for work and right around my daughters first birthday this year, but I'll do what I can to try to make it out for sure. It does seem like they got the rooms a little bit better, but I guess in the past I've never seen it work out very well. I guess in my mind it might be worth a small premium even if we have to actually reserve or rent a place out in order to kind of group everyone together at a park or something.

I wouldn't mind moving it more towards central Ohio or even closer to PA, but I'd like to find somewhere with lots of room for pictures and whatnot. The park we normally go to is decent but we're always fighting for spots unless we get lucky. I always thought the lot behind that hotel would be a decent place for pics and a parking lot cookout

Or PA itself. I wonder if maybe further in PA would work. Mayne New Castle.

I was going to suggest Akron OH but not sure if anyone would want to go there.

I vote moving it closer to me. . . LOL.  

I 2nd that vote. It would be closer to me too! W body meet somewhere in PA! Maybe Philly.

I'm not opposed to moving it, Hell, Erie is but 1.5 hours from me. I just don't have the time like I used to have I'd also be relying on other peoples work, and having to have someone help coordinate it. 

Its easy to say, yeah lets move it. But who wants to take an active role in doing it is my question.

I think the active roll would have to go to whomever lives closest to the area chosen. That's why I made my post saying I could only recommend the DC/Baltimore area since I'm familiar with the area and could organize the thing. Only thing would be that the hotels would be around $80 a night. I don't think I could be able to pull off $50 a night. Not sure how much people paid in Toledo but I know how the DC/Baltimore area situation is. This area is pretty expensive to be in period.  Plus I'd assume that would be a long drive for a lot of the members.

Chris and I are both extremely busy next week with my move, so I'll let this thread run a little longer to see if anyone can come up with an alternate location that fits our criteria for a meet:

• The hotel should preferably be under $80 a night.
  • The hotel should be within a reasonable distance of the most members.
  • The hotel needs to be able to block off a section of rooms so we will not bother other guests.
  • The hotel should not be located in a place where we are likely to get...
    • Shot.
    • Stabbed.
    • Robbed.
    • Burglarized.
    • Carjacked.
    • Be solicited for prostitution.
    • Be solicited to buy narcotics.
  • There should be a park nearby that can accommodate parking for up to 20-25 cars at one time.
  • There should be some free/extremely cheap activities for folks.  In Toledo this has been the junkyard and the shooting range.
    • Pick a "free" state where I can carry my guns and I'll give free beginner's firearm instruction to anyone who wants it.
  • There should be a nearby restaurant that can accommodate 25 or so people at once (with parking).
  • We would like to avoid as much terrible traffic as possible.

So far, Toledo has been the best location that fits most/all of these criteria.  I'll check back later in the week and if there's no other concrete option, we'll just set up a poll for the weekend we want in Ohio.