Emblem placement.

jiggity76

I guess it depends on the car...factory placing is hard to beat, because that's the spot everyone has seen them. The Oldsmobile badge doesn't look right on the leading edge of the hood, because of the curvature of the hood makes the Olds script look crooked on the car.

The previous owner of my IROC mistakenly put Z/28 badges on the rockers and rear bumper of my car. Starting in '88, those are supposed to be "IROC-Z" badges. My wife even bought me the correct badges, but I only installed the IROC-Z badge on the rear bumper, because to me, it really didn't make much sense for the car to have a billboard-sized IROC-Z decal on the door, and IROC-Z badges not more than two feet away on the rockers--I think they got it right on the '87 and earlier cars. I've yet to have anyone who's admired the car notice.

I agree!  Your car makes me smile every time I see it, such a good looking car.  I am one of those people who wasn't educated on this subject until you said something, thank you.

That also might explain why the Oldsmobile hood badge has slanted lettering since it goes uphill from left to right if your looking at the car head on.

• Like 1

On the Regal it came with the Regal script on each door, both had a rectangular emblem beneath that said "Custom" and a 3.8 on the trunk lid. I put nice "Regal scripts back in those locations, including the trunk lid but beneath them I put the "Supercharged" emblem from Rivieras. It was incorrect but I liked it.

post-3252-0-39775500-1509548433_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Even though your car didn't originally come with those, I like what you did.  It's a logical spot, and I'd be surprised if many people would ever realize they didn't come with those emblems from the factory.

On the Regal it came with the Regal script on each door, both had a rectangular emblem beneath that said "Custom" and a 3.8 on the trunk lid. I put nice "Regal scripts back in those locations, including the trunk lid but beneath them I put the "Supercharged" emblem from Rivieras. It was incorrect but I liked it.

attachicon.gif20171101_105927.jpg

Even though your car didn't originally come with those, I like what you did.  It's a logical spot, and I'd be surprised if many people would ever realize they didn't come with those emblems from the factory.

Exactly, you changed out an existing emblem and replaced it with something different in the factory location and it looks nice and clean!  My point is that people are completely moving factory emblems to different spots on the car and making it look worse in my opinion.  You should only do this to enhance or maintain the factory look, not make it worse.

That OLDSMOBILE plate would be better if it were tooled to contour with the hood but they weren't. They were located in that spot above the drivers side header panel in the 1978-1987 cars but looked good as everything was squared and not curved like 1988-97.

I honestly would like to ditch the CUTLASS SUPREME SL emblems on the trunk on my 1996 as I think they look stupid there and in my opinion it was GM's way of cheaping out and just putting 1 set on the car instead of 2 sets. But I'm sure if I remove them, after 21 years there will be a shadow so I'd better be prepared to place on a fresh set. I now use the set on the trunk to grip onto when I close the trunk in the hope I get it to fall off so I can replace it with a fresh emblem I have burning a hole in my parts supply drawer.

Exactly, you changed out an existing emblem and replaced it with something different in the factory location and it looks nice and clean! My point is that people are completely moving factory emblems to different spots on the car and making it look worse in my opinion. You should only do this to enhance or maintain the factory look, not make it worse.

I did kind of break the unwritten rule of emblem placement a put that combination on the trunk lid where the old "3800 Series II" badge used to live. In my defense I felt the 3800 emblem was ugly and the combination I replaced it with was more elegant.

I did kind of break the unwritten rule of emblem placement a put that combination on the trunk lid where the old "3800 Series II" badge used to live. In my defense I felt the 3800 emblem was ugly and the combination I replaced it with was more elegant.

I think you have great tastes and sure it looks great!  Again, your not making it look worse like some of the nonsense I've seen.