1989 Prototype Grand Illusion

Turbo v-sick

The wheels might be hard to find.  Did the 89s have the bumpers without the side reflectors?  

I think this was a 284 car.  I know it had a different intake, and the car made a lot more power.  So I assume there were other differences.  I think a bigger turbo . . .

kind of curious to know how the 284 was done... production units obviously didn't happen until 1991, so they either adapted a Chrysler 2.2turbo version(which was already a super small production run) or had something like a 282-284 hybrid or a legitimately 1 of 1 prototype, which seems unlikely.

The wheels might be hard to find.  Did the 89s have the bumpers without the side reflectors? 

They did not.

• Like 1

Modified Trans am wheels, T28 disco potato, side reflector delete, body colour mirrors and a different intake plenum,

The whole rear bumper cover looks like it's shaped different. Like it tapers up more on the sides.

Edited by GOT2B GM

Modified Trans am wheels, T28 disco potato, side reflector delete, body colour mirrors and a different intake plenum,

The whole rear bumper cover looks like it's shaped different. Like it tapers up more on the sides.

Recreating those bumpers would be a pain.  But it's doable.  I even have a junk bumper here to cut some filler panels out of...

• 7 months later...

"Modified Trans am wheels" - T/A wheels were 5x4.75 (120.7) and have a much different offset. Suspect either Western or Motor wheel just ran up a few sets of 5x115 & are 16x8 like my GTP. (Would have been working 91-92 designs in 88).

Do remember George had a blue 5-speed around then that I had trouble with the shift gate. OTOH I have NP shifting the GTP.

Edited by Padgett