Whole Door From Coupe to Convertible?

jojeeka

My 1995 Convertible has a nice dent in the driver's side door and it would be a lot cheaper to get a door from a donor car than to repair and paint the door.   So, I did search and saw the thread about compatibility between coupes and convertibles but it focused on door handles and door panels.  So my two questions are...

1. Whill a coupe door with handles and everything on it fit the convertible?  1995 specifically

2. Do the 1995 coupes have the same door trim as 1995 convertibles?   the updated interior

Just trying to see if i can get a coupe door and just remove and install or will it not work or will i have to re-use my trim pieces or whatever.

Thanks!

My 1995 Convertible has a nice dent in the driver's side door and it would be a lot cheaper to get a door from a donor car than to repair and paint the door.   So, I did search and saw the thread about compatibility between coupes and convertibles but it focused on door handles and door panels.  So my two questions are...

1. Whill a coupe door with handles and everything on it fit the convertible?  1995 specifically

2. Do the 1995 coupes have the same door trim as 1995 convertibles?   the updated interior

Just trying to see if i can get a coupe door and just remove and install or will it not work or will i have to re-use my trim pieces or whatever.

Thanks!

Sorta kinda.

Mine is a '95, so I should be able to answer most of your questions...

The doors for the convertibles were made from standard doors from a coupe...BUT...

The side window glass is different on the convertible doors, but you could swap the glass.

The interior trim is the same, with the exception of the power window switches (convertibles have roll down quarter windows, and use the sedan window switch housing),  but here's your big problem, and one you aren't likely to overcome:

The coupe used framed doors, and the convertibles eliminated that frame, and if your plan is to simply bolt on a coupe door on a convertible, the frame around that glass isn't going to clear the top frame, nor the top.  You'd probably break something the first time you attempted closing the door.  The only way you could make this work would to be to replicate the original work, and make a custom door out of a coupe door.

Before I went through all that, I think I'd find a door from an earlier convertible (the biggest difference would be the door-mounted seatbelt bracket on earlier doors)....and simply swap with another convertible's door.