88 to 91 Cutlass tail light emblem water damage

sean1991olds

Those of you with a 88-91 Cutlass- do you have this issue? Water gets trapped inside and makes a mess. Can the cover be popped off? If it can, I'll just cover it with a decal or something.

light.PNG

I`ve never seen one of those in real life, does that center emblem get glued into place or is it riveted through the cover?

If its just glued then you might try soaking it in adhesive remover over night and gently pry at it with something plastic or very, EXTREMLY carefully a small eyeglass flat head. They look exactly like what the front emblem on the later CS models and I`m pretty sure they can be easily cheaply had on ebay.

A hair drier or heat gun might help as well.

That one is an image I pulled from ebay, on mine the 'cover' doesn't have as much of a gap, and the silver part is only on the raised portion around the rocket (unlike the pic). But good ideas though with the adhesive remover, I almost want to buy a crap tail light on ebay to see how it comes apart. Still, would like to know if anyone has fixed this kinda issue themselves too.

Cheapest/easiest option might be making up some vinyl overlays with the same symbol on them. Buy extra if ypu plan to have the car a long time and replace as needed.

The emblem can be removed.  They're attached using double-sided tape.  Heat would be a good idea.  I tried to pull mine without heat and shattered one.  The other was loose and came out easily.  I ended up buying a new emblem to replace the shattered one, but I imagine you can't get them any more.  The one I didn't shatter, I used a Q-tip and lacquer thinner to remove all the paint from the border of the emblem.  Then painted the back side with several coats of Testor's candy red (a transparent red paint), and then painted over that with a "chrome" spray paint.  Ended up looking pretty good.  Stuck it back on with emblem tape which is similar.

• Like 1