How to clean my Cutlass.

jiggity76

Working with a place out of Wisconsin, they seem very promising to repair the 91 International's digital cluster.  I sent them photo's of it and spoke with a tech on the phone and they seem very confident in doing the repair.  I hope to get it packaged up and shipped out to them this week.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got some bad news from the repair shop.  They replaced some capacitors and it's getting amperage but they said the cluster is not fixable.  I'm going to have to replace it.  I've got some leads on some new NOS clusters, one thanks to MemphisMan and some others scattered across the U.S. and Canada.  Bummer.

1 hour ago, rich_e777 said:

Maybe worth a second opinion? I havent talked myself into walking away from my 1994 CS project yet but if I do I`ll sell you my UB3.

I talked to a local GM dealer and they gave me a contact of a place in the Chicago area.  The GM service department sends off their customer's clusters to this facility and he said if they can't fix it, no one can.  I'm going to give them a try.  I called them tonite and talked to one of their techs, he said he's pretty confident he can fix it so that's my next plan of attack.  I have a couple of good working UB3's but they're non HUD clusters and I really want to have the original HUD cluster working or find a NOS one to keep the car original as I can.  Thank you for the offer though Rich, very generous of you!

I keep forgetting they had an even more rare version just for the HUD. If its the same people that do the Vette clusters then I think its in good hands, that`d be the only place I`d send one to.

So the repair place in Chicago got ahold of me today, they said they can't repair it.  They referred me to a place in Detroit, MI, a place called Specmo I think.  I called them and gave them my part # and they said YES, we can repair that.  So I'm going to send it to them next week and hope for the best.  I'm getting worried about it.  I checked with a place in Canada that supposedly had an NOS one but they said nope, it was sold awhile ago.  I'm also checking with a lead from MemphisMan, an NOS one listed on Ebay, I'll check with them next week to see if they actually have one. 

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, GabsOlds said:

How did this turn out? 

Still a work in progress.  I'm going to wait until I work some overtime or get my taxes done first but definitely doing it soon.  I'll update everyone when I find out.  I'm really hoping this place in Detroit can fix it, I want it working when I try to diagnose the no start issue.  MemphisMan has been helping me a little and giving me some advice on how to do this properly.  Thanks to everyone else too.  I have a list in my head of the process and steps I need to take before attempting to fire her up.

By the way, it's going to be price to repair the cluster, $350 to $450 estimate.

I also got ahold of Robertsaar too on FB and he might attempt the repair.  When I get closer, and if he still wants to do it, I might have him have a go at it.  He's been very gracious to talk to me about it and the possibility of repairing it.

1 hour ago, digitaloutsider said:

Late comment, but why not just put electrical tape over the the display inside the cluster that shows the MPH? That's really the only "visible" difference between a HUD and non-HUD UB3. 

I thought I would just use the spare NON HUD cluster that I have to at least be able to watch the vitals when trying to start her up, still want the original cluster to work and be able to use it since it was born with the car.  I would still know there was electrical tape over the display and that would bug me to no end.  I want to do it right.

2 hours ago, digitaloutsider said:

...why not just put electrical tape over the the display inside the cluster that shows the MPH? 

*jiggity strokes out at doing this lmao!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1