How to clean my Cutlass.

jiggity76

Sunroof question - Now that I know my sunroof works, what's the best way to keep it moving smoothly?  Do you guys recommend cleaning it and then lubing it up with a good product like some sort of grease or spray?  Also, I noticed that the sunshade moves with the glass but when I try to move it when the glass is closed, it's stuck.  Can't slide it back to when the glass is forward and closed.

Saar is our local digi-dash guru.

I got ahold of Saar and waiting for his response.  Switched out the cluster today with a good spare and still no lighty uppy.  Just shows exactly what the original cluster showed.  Do you guys have any suggestions while I wait to hear back from Saar?

KID6ma.jpg

Alright, I'm a moron.  So it ended up just being a fuse.  Sorry to bother everyone about this.  Here it is all lit up showing 152,000 miles, more than I thought it had.  DIS is in but not hooked up, still working on it but wanted to see what it would look like.

OuwQCV.jpgDIp7fl.jpg

Sunroof question - Now that I know my sunroof works, what's the best way to keep it moving smoothly?  Do you guys recommend cleaning it and then lubing it up with a good product like some sort of grease or spray?  Also, I noticed that the sunshade moves with the glass but when I try to move it when the glass is closed, it's stuck.  Can't slide it back to when the glass is forward and closed.

Still can't get the sunshade to slide back, it pops up and gets crooked in front and still won't slide back.  I've tried pushing up and pulling down but no go.  It moves with the glass ok but can't get it to move independently of the glass.  I thought about pulling the glass from the outside to get access to the shade track but I think the only way to do that is to move the shade back.  Any ideas anyone?

Well I'm back to square one on the dash cluster.  Fuse is NOT blown and my dash is not coming on again.  I've consulted Robertlsaar again, waiting to hear back.  I'm mad at my Cutlass right now!

You'll need a DOHC dipstick, the 91-95 make use of a *T* handle, the 96-97 make use of a *pull-ring*

Alright, finally got the correct dipstick for the 91 International LQ1.  I found out that a dipstick from 91-92 will work but in 93 they changed to a yellow T handle one and it WILL NOT fit over the dipstick tube.  I drove three hours to get this one which sucked but also kinda fun!  Here it is!

sWOL0p.jpg

I got it off of a 92 GP SE LQ1.  I posted pics and some other cars in the junkyard thread never ending section.

I called my local GM dealer and he could not find any NOS ones anywhere.  Couldn't find one on Ebay.  Salvage yards who had the one I needed were too far away and wouldn't ship or I had to buy the whole freaking motor to get it.  I had to drive to get this one like I said because they are a Pick N Pull and won't ship, you gotta come down and pull it yourself!  Oh well, I had fun!

Got the shade to slide back but I had to vent the glass and push up from inside to get it to slide back.  It keeps getting hung up somewhere.  Found this black piece just laying between the glass and shade, obviously broken and don't know exactly where it goes.  Maybe it's causing the stuck shade problem?  It has a broken tab on one end and the other end has the tab barely hanging on and squished.  Anyone know what I should do?  At lease the shade is back now but I want it to slide like it should.  Do 88-97 model year cars all use the same sunroof components/parts?  Can I use parts from a Buick Regal or GP?

TZMi52.jpgCjwJe0.jpgptcdIS.jpgBbVnGN.jpgja2mr2.jpg

Might need some moonroof parts.  Do these cars share the same components/parts throughout the years or are some years different from others.  Can I use parts from a GP or Regal?

• 6 months later...

I was a little bored today and it was really nice outside so I wiped down the engine bay in the International.  I also took some pics of the rear trailing arm areas and wanted to check how everything is looking - I'm relieved.

JZsPDE.jpgcv3LYv.jpg

Driver's side arm, hello spidey!

cq8l27.jpg

Passenger side arm.

EpjFXM.jpg

I'm a little concerned about the front torque box area on the driver's side, seems like it was hooked up wrong somewhere along it's life and tore the metal.  I hope this is a easy fix.  A reminder of where not to hook up when pulling a car with a tow hook.

6SSQuR.jpg

• Like 1

It wasn't that bad of a trip but I'm closer than you would be.  It's almost exactly 8 hrs from my place to where I found the car in Muskogee and 500 miles one way if I remember.

Are those trailing arm mounting brackets bolted onto the body? Or are they welded? I bought replacement brackets, which come with bolts. 

post-9218-0-88362700-1525056250_thumb.jpg

I think it was Imp who said they are dropped in from above or inside the car before they weld the floor pan closed.  I believe they are welded in.  Step in Imp if it was you or if I'm wrong please.

That would make it a bigger job than a driveway gig. 

I think so but I'm not a body man.  I've been told by other members to avoid cars with rust in these areas unless it's a parts car.  Anything can be fixed with hard work or a big wallet though.  Nice work on the vert top by the way!

Thank you. I was gonna post a diy thread on top replacement, but now the phone with all the pictures won't power up.

I ordered a second gen mount and took it to a weld shop, my welder is a small mig and I didn't trust it for that. They cut out the first gen mount and did a patchwork repair with 1/8" plate and then welded the second gen mount in place.

You should get that trailing arm mount area covered up at some point and keep it looking like that; future proof it.  The POR15 system sounds like it would be good in there.  The cars in the JY either look like yours or rusted junk there's not much in between that I've seen.

You should get that trailing arm mount area covered up at some point and keep it looking like that; future proof it.  The POR15 system sounds like it would be good in there.  The cars in the JY either look like yours or rusted junk there's not much in between that I've seen.

I thought about doing that, I used POR on my 87 GMC 4X4 project and it worked great!  The International will never see snow or salt so should I worry about covering it or just let it be?  Actually, I don't even plan on driving it in the rain either.

Don't touch it then. Wipe some oil on it and walk away.

Will do, once all the mechanical stuff is done, I plan on getting the necessary body work and paint done to make it look pretty.  I really want to get it up on some jack stands and power wash the underside at some point and clean everything up and preserve it the best I can.  Thanks Nate!  I think a good washing would do wonders.