Bluetooth Solution for Stock Stereo

MemphisMan

Since I've had the car I've used a cassette adapter hooked to my iPhone in order to stream music.  It was a nice simple solution which allowed me to keep my car stock.  I was satisfied with the sound quality, but I never liked the cord sticking out from the head unit.  I don't like exposed cords in general, so I've been trying to figure out a way to hide the cords and utilize bluetooth.  I came up with the following solution which hides all of my cords, including the charging cord for my iPhone.

post-3600-0-76355800-1459811296_thumb.jpg

post-3600-0-30926100-1459811318_thumb.jpg

The bluetooth device is here: http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Receiver-Wireless-Streaming-Smartphones/dp/B00UL4F2ZI?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

The dual USB power inverter I installed is here: http://www.amazon.com/HitCar-Inverter-Converter-Charger-Recorder/dp/B00OHHT7ZG?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00 

I connected the bt device to my head unit using the same cassette deck adapter I've been using.  The difference here is that I removed the head unit then removed the front and bottom plates.  I inserted the cassette adapter in backwards so the cord would snake out of the back of the head unit instead of the front.  Then I installed the head unit back in and ran the cord under the console and up to the bt device.  I put the power inverter inline with the 12v power connection in the passenger foot well.  The bt device sits in a spare ashtray I picked up at the salvage yard (because I had to cut two holes in it for the audio cord and the charging cord).  Inside the ashtray, the bt device simply sits on a foam pad I cut to fit.  

It sounds the same as it ever has, but no cords.  The extra USB port coming out of the inverter was used to connect a charging cable for my phone which I routed to the center console storage bin.  Nice and tidy.  You can't even tell there's a cassette adapter in the head unit.

• Like 1

I am interested in that BT adapter for my GTP. I currently have an AUX port in my stock radio. I hate having to hook up the cord to play music. Like you, I hate the look of the cord. I was would need a USB power supply in my car. I only have the old round style 12v power outlets.

Edited by 94 olds vert

I only had the round 12v adapters too, but I hooked a power inverter inline with one of them so I now have 2 USB ports, one for the bt adapter and one to charge my phone. The power inverter I linked has worked well for the past couple of months.

• Like 1

Do you have a cassette deck or will you just hook through your aux port on the inside of the head unit somehow?

I have an AUX cord that runs into my center console right now from the back of the radio. I leave the cord out all the time so I don't have to pull it from the center console. This way I wouldn't ever have to pull the cord out.

What do you use for a microphone when making a call ?

The bluetooth device has a built in mic, but I just use my phone.  In addition, when I make or receive a call, the screen displays options of what I want to use for a speaker (phone or bluetooth [ie car speakers]).  

There is a Bluetooth wireless cassette adapter that pairs with your phone. It works great. I use it in my Beretta.

Pretty cool.  I didn't even know these existed.  Looks like you have to take it out to charge it?  That would be cool if it could self charge by turning the spindles while it was in the deck. 

• Like 2

Pretty cool.  I didn't even know these existed.  Looks like you have to take it out to charge it?  That would be cool if it could self charge by turning the spindles while it was in the deck. 

Ding ding ding. My first thought when I saw that, especially since the radio has to turn anyway.  Wouldn't even need a battery since the radio will only read when running at a very consistent rate. Kind of want to buy one to see if I can pull that off... Might have to put some high voltage protection for when people hit the fast forward button.  :smilielol:

errr, I do not have an aux jack...

" The SamrtBean's 3.5mm standard audio jack is compatible with most headphones, speakers, home stereo systems and automotive auxiliary inputs (using the included connector"

No aux jack, you'd need a cassette one or an FM modulated one.

Don't know if it's any good, but this one claims to support A2DP which is the audio protocol.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-Wireless-Bluetooth-FM-Transmitter-Modulator-A2DP-Mic-MP3-Car-Kit-SD-TF-USB-/371580574391?hash=item5683ed9ab7:g:IlQAAOSwvFZW78q1

There are a lot more elaborate looking ones too.

Cassette one, works on batteries though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ion-Audio-Cassette-Bluetooth-Adapter-Music-Receiver-for-Cassette-Deck-Black-NEW-/221971483292?hash=item33ae880a9c:g:jPEAAOSwk1JWcvUW

• Like 1

I got mine because my gf had one in her MX-5 and it works great. It's also small enough to fit in a stock ashtray on the 95-97 Cutlass.

Edited by MemphisMan