What have I done to the '92 Vert lately (since buying it in December '15)

Billyvannuys

Been a while, will try to list from memory what has happened to this car in 4 months.

Replaced catalytic converter, mufflers (twice, first one too loud), replaced exhaust tips (dude put 'em on crooked), replaced antenna, new tires, scratched rim finish using wrong cleaner, fixed cruise control, replaced blinker stalk, replaced LIM gaskets, replaced all rotors, wheel cylinders, brake booster and master cylinder, (brakes still suck and "anti'-lock" light started  coming on now),new ABS probably next,  replaced leaky oil pan gasket and two stripped bolts, replaced fuel regulator, battery, new floor mats, totally cool steering wheel cover, installed kicker speakers in rear (need new head unit, factory one has little power), car started leaking from rack and pinion (r&p on order), oh...windshield wiper blades, new rubber at mono-leaf ends, alignment, detail, fixed horn by putting sponges behind horn pad as someone on here suggested, new plugs, wires, valve cover gaskets, fixed stripped bolts on engine compartment cross members, new upper motor mounts, new hose that goes from valve cover to...somewhere.

Car is finally starting to behave like a car with only 76K miles should. Yes, I'm still using my buddy from across the street who works on it at his buddy's garage business. He understands me better now. We're getting close to finished with his part. but,, he still can't get damn brakes to work right. He'll check it out this weekend. Still to come; new top, paint, stereo, speakers, sub. Would like the spoiler and lipped taillights. But first I have to get damn mechanical stabilized. 

Amazingly, I'm still married. Kind wish I'd bought the 65 hot rod Cutlass convertible with the built 350 and shift kit for $7,000 about now. post-9558-0-74223200-1459564465.jpg Have decided to name the car "Regan" after the little possessed girl in the film The Exorcist.

post-9558-0-07187000-1450998453_thumb.jpg

Wow, you've put a lot of work into the car.  Hopefully you can drive it more now than work on it.  Enjoy it now that the weather is getting warmer.

Yeah, huh ? I thought I really had something here. At first.

I have the Car Faxes and mechanical records. She had a damn Volvo dealer working on it for a long time. Think she was ripped off for long time.

Belonged to original owner's husband who passed away years a ago. Don't think she drove it much or maintained it much for many many years. Her daughter sold it for her once she reached her 90's, was infirm, and no one was driving it. Badly weathered original top makes it seem it was sitting outside for a long time. Interior in nice shape. Under hood looks good. Think I'm almost done with mechanicals. I'd sell it today for $5K and say lesson learned, but I'll never get that out of it with bad top, and needing paint job.

So,I slowly carry on. It does kinda suck. This was supposed to be my fun car.

One never fixes a W body, we just complete or start a project and move on to the next one, this IS the fun part. :dance:

• Like 1

What else mechanical needs to be sorted on it?  Sounds like there can't be much left ha!  It goes without saying that when you own one of these cars you need to be able to turn a wrench or be wiling to pay someone who does.  Either way they can be frustrating cars to own and maintain, but there's a certain something about them that make them worth it.  I wouldn't want to drive anything else.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...