Power Mirror Switch

DesertEagle50

I have a 1998 Buick Century Custom with a power mirror switch that works but not every time.  I hooked 12V up to the harness connector and verified that the mirrors work fine. I bought two bad switches off of ebay.  Both of the switches had green corrosion on the circuit boards and button contacts, and I can only assume that they were rained on and some point.  I received a refund from the seller who swears he tested the switches before mailing them.

I was unable to find an aftermarket replacement for my exact year/make/model.  There are new power mirror switches available for Buick Century 1999-2005. http://www.autozone.com/electrical-and-lighting/power-mirror-switch/duralast-power-mirror-switch/buick/century/1999/6-cylinders-m-3-1l-sfi-ohv/860993_0_0/?checkfit=true. I am wondering if there was a change to the switch wiring after 1998, which could explain why there is a different part number and why the replacement switches didn't work.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for Buick Century 1999-2005?

Also, a printed circuit board is green with black traces.  If the board develops dark green patches between black traces does that indicate a short?

Thanks!

post-5397-0-80198800-1458316967_thumb.jpg

post-5397-0-73930600-1458316984_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Both those switches are corroded.  The dark green patches don't necessarily indicate a problem, just that corrosion or a chemical may have found its way between the copper traces and green enamel paint.  To test, it would be best using a multimeter on ohms mode and check for continuity between two points on the copper traces.  However, I'd bet that one reason they don't work is all the corrosion on the exposed gold contacts.  Try cleaning those real well with a pencil eraser.  Make sure to clean any crust off the carbon pads on the rubber domes with nothing stronger than soap and water.

Best thing is Isopropyl Alcohol the purer the better, that with a toothbrush, then the eraser would probobly help better, and clean again with the Isopropyl and let it dry/hair drier. Generally if it's salvageable that should do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk