freaking dents!

worb4me

the continuing saga of my 300$ 1998 Grand Prix GT.

I've come to the reasonable conclusion that the grinding noise (can get very loud) is due to a bad bearing on the right side (front), although both sides need replacing and I ordered cheap chyneez parts off ebay. I can always buy quality parts if the car seems as if it'll last. But didn't we agree that everything in the universe is now manufactured in Chynuh? Still got coolant leaks, bad elbow, maybe valve cover gaskets. I have high hopes for this car. It offsets the lack of iron in my diet.

But those dents! The lady who drove it claimed she hit a deer. But there are numerous dents mainly near the front of the hood, it seems unlikely a deer did all that, it's even folded a bit in the very front. The whole car has scuffs a more relatively small dings and dents. Paint is still shiny as all get out for the most part though.

I had heard of something called oil canning, where you heat the metal w/a torch then throw a wet rag on it, and the dent pops out. Has anyone tried this? Will a propane plumbers torch suffice? Now metal isn't going to miraculously unfold, but would a half inch by say 6" diameter indentation be remedied? I could always just remove the hood and pound on it with a mallet. I was thinking strategically placing a 2 x 4 and hammering on the end of that. I don't want to buy a new hood. I'm cheap. I say let a bargain remain a bargain. Hood won't lock either, but that's likely just a misalignment issue. Should be able to bend all that back into place. Weather is getting nice woohoo.

I'll try posting pictures as soon as I can find my camera. TIA.

As easy as GP parts are to come by why not just find a good replacement hood and front fenders if you need them at a JY? If they are small dents I`d recommend starting with a good straight hood then use your current one as a test bed and learn how to work Bondo and primer. IIRC all 2D GPs use the same body parts, the sedan models may as well, they look close enough to. It would be better than putting a torch to a car that already notorious for being a fireball.

The way you describe I can see one spending more money that way rather than the $50-$60bucks for a JY hood that may be the same color as the rest of the car. There is doing somethings cheap and then there is doing things inexpensive, guess which will work out better for you?

No your torch and rag idea will not work and I`ll eat my hat if it does. The metal is bent and will remain bent until a series of hammer and dolly? blows to form the metal back close enough then bondo is added the return the contours and curves then primer etc etc.

I had one of those paintless dent repair guys remove some dents from a Reatta once and he did a very good job on a black car which is not easy. Might call a local dealer and see if they have some one who stops in.

50-60$ in your area maybe, not likely in New Jersey. There was a guy w/one on Craigslist for 85$ about an hour and a quarter away.

I'm not putting anymore money then I have to into it because it's largely untested. Like I said I have high hopes for the car, but I'll keep in a bargain instead of putting money into cosmetic issues, maybe 150$, 1/2 the price of the car. Aaaaaaand I told the lady I'd give her the balance of the 500$ she originally asked for if I don't have to do anything major. She had said the coolant was jelling, and that scared me into thinking oil in coolant (or worse coolant in oil too). Chances are I may have to do a gasket job eventually, but if it lasts a month or two, I haven't seen this jelling yet, I have to divvy up. It's an honor thing.

So out comes my Craftsman mallet . . .

Difficult to imagine how I would get a hood home anyway.

I usually don't do craigslist for parts and you can drive the car without a hood. At a JY you can usually haggle with the owners who are already making their money on the scrap metal and if you were to trade in your current hood you might only be out the gas money it took to get there and back.

But maybe different in Jersey.

Isn't New Jersey the state that is free to enter but you have to pay to leave ?

Hahaha! It sure is!

I`m sure that helps the revenue but that sounds dumb as hell and I`m surprised there are those that would put up with it.

Has always been that way. Toll bridges on the rivers that form most of the boundaries and you only pay going one way, out of NJ.

"All rates apply to the Lincoln & Holland tunnels, the George Washington, Bayonne & Goethals bridges, and the Outerbridge Crossing. Tolls are collected entering New York. No tolls are collected entering New Jersey."

http://www.panynj.gov/bridges-tunnels/tolls.html

NJ<>PA same-same. Think Delaware is the only exception.

NJ trivia: on the Joisy side of Phily there is a ex-GE plant. In the lobby is the original painting of "His Master's Voice". What is Nipper sitting on ?

I would try any of the harry u pull its in eastern PA for body parts if they are still there....  

but....

I would not invest a penny into body work if you still have issues with the car.  Also, buying sub-par parts... and i have no kind way of describing it... is writing your name on a bullet.

install problem solver gasket when you do you engines intakes.

use metal coolant elbows if have a 3800

buy only premium wheel bearings if you need wheel bearings

I've bought a few hoods.  every hood I have bought either was taken in a truck or van to the car, or was swapped out in a junkyard parking lot.

Bearings already delivered alas.40$ for the pair shipped.seem okay. We'll see . . .

I'm hoping there's prior warning in the event of a catastrophic bearing failure. We'll see . . .