Stock Deck worth Saving or go with Aftermarket...... How TO??????

Daermos

Ok so as some of you know i just got my first wbody and am already in love. The factory deck lcd backlight is burnt out, now i am debating on trying to see if i can fix it or if i should just swap out with a pioneer that i have in the garage.

Now where i need opinion and or guidance, should i try to save factory deck or should i swap it out and if i do what is needed so that i can still use the steering wheel controls or will it be to much of a pain and not worry about those. I have been told that i need all sorts of parts because my car has onstar. 

Is this true or what would you gents recommend, i have done a few deck's but not on anything with so many options

Thanks

Daermos

A previous owner kid tried to wire in an aftermarket system in my GTP and they made such a mess of things I`m opting to completely remove the system and replace with something better than factory. Hoping the steering wheel controls still work and can be used with a CD-less system.

Or you can just remove it all, have your mufflers cutoff and listen to that supercharged six cylinder symphony. :dance:

No idea about the onstar stuff.

If you don't really care about wheel controls or keeping the stick look, go aftermarket. I always do and it sounds better.im currently debating what to do in my new car since it has the monsoon system

there are a number of decks that use steering wheel controls now. I just got Sony that is capable of using the interface to adapt it to the steering wheel controls on her Bonneville which should be the same system. Check out Crutchfield

I am looking for a factory cassette unit to have the proper backlighting and keep the SWC. PO put a Kenwood in that does not respond. I have some Scoche cassettes with microphone that work well to provide HandsFree. Personally do not care for subscription services since would need one for each car while my cell phone does it all.

If you don't really care about wheel controls or keeping the stick look, go aftermarket. I always do and it sounds better.im currently debating what to do in my new car since it has the monsoon system

ok Psych0matt, the deck that i am looking to use is a kind of basic pioneer but it does have aux and preamp out but no external controls. Now that being said how or what do i need to hook it into car.  

A dash kit and a wire harness. That should be about it. You will wire the wire harness on to the pigtail of the stereo, and once you plug that into the stereo that other end will plug right into your car. The basket is pretty much exactly what it sounds like. Also, if you're wanting to keep the stock color scheme I know JVC make some inexpensive single din units that work really well. I have one in my GTP. However for sound quality and overall ass FedEx I'm a big fan of Pioneer

A dash kit and a wire harness. That should be about it. You will wire the wire harness on to the pigtail of the stereo, and once you plug that into the stereo that other end will plug right into your car. The basket is pretty much exactly what it sounds like. Also, if you're wanting to keep the stock color scheme I know JVC make some inexpensive single din units that work really well. I have one in my GTP. However for sound quality and overall ass FedEx I'm a big fan of Pioneer

Ok so the stereo says it has integrated theft lock, I want to make sure that if i swap out the decks i wont loose door chime as well as keyless enty "pry seperate system"

20160301_071203.jpg

This is the deck i am looking to install not to fancy but still had great sound hehe also black with red lighting, should match up decent

20160301_082333.jpg

I'm not sure about on the second Gens but I know on the third gens if you don't get the proper harness you will lose the chimes. The keyless entry I don't believe is any part of that system. And I don't know what you mean by a pry system.

I'm not sure about on the second Gens but I know on the third gens if you don't get the proper harness you will lose the chimes. The keyless entry I don't believe is any part of that system. And I don't know what you mean by a pry system.

Sorry Psych0 was meaning or is the keyless pry a different system.

I am a big fan of keeping things stock, all those things you are talking about is engineered for the car and it's systems.  I would pull the OEM radio and have it sent off and fixed.  Seems like a lot of extra work and hassle for things that might or might not work if you go with the Pioneer.  It comes down to what you want to do I guess, so good luck!

• Like 2

One more thing...aftermarket radios instantly make your car a target for theft and vandalism.

No. Unless you have a $400 touch screen. No one steals single din cd players anymore. I've had multiple different stereos in different cars and never even had so much as a slight issue, even with multiple touchscreens
  • Like 1

If you go aftermarket there are companies out there with modules that go inline with your HU that will allow you to "map" the wheel controls to certain HU functions.  I used one for years in my '01 GP GT and it worked great.  Can't remember the company though. 

What backlight on your stock one is out?  If it is the clock on that is just a matter of soldering in a new bulb, most of the time.  I can't speak for any of the other bulbs in the deck.

If you go aftermarket there are companies out there with modules that go inline with your HU that will allow you to "map" the wheel controls to certain HU functions.  I used one for years in my '01 GP GT and it worked great.  Can't remember the company though. 

What backlight on your stock one is out?  If it is the clock on that is just a matter of soldering in a new bulb, most of the time.  I can't speak for any of the other bulbs in the deck.

Hey runt yeah it is the bulb on the clock, I am sure that all it needs is a bulb, was told by my buddy with a 98 that yes it is doable but it is also a serious pain in the ass lol. 

Yeah i have that basic pioneer that i would like to put in but still waiting to here what is needed to install, I have been told that it just a factory adapter. I have also been told that i need a bypass for the onstar system which is not in use.