Parking brake pedal goes down but....

Daermos

So as title says when I push down parking brake pedal it goes down but when I try to push to release um it don't lol unless you lift up on catch.

Has anyone had this happen?? A buddy of mine said to rig up a spring, that being said any idea what size or type of spring.??

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks guys

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

It could be a sticking parking brake assembly inside the rear rotors.

However, it's more likely a rusty cable.

Iirc, there are 3 cables

1) Front to back-Y connection

2) Right Rear

3) Left Rear

Also, check out (Some are similar to your car, but not your car)

http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?pageId=0900c15280218064

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/pontiac,2002,grand+prix,3.1l+v6,1382510,brake/wheel+hub,parking+brake+cable,1696

0900c15280218066.gif

Good Luck!

It could be a sticking parking brake assembly inside the rear rotors.

However, it's more likely a rusty cable.

Iirc, there are 3 cables

1) Front to back-Y connection

2) Right Rear

3) Left Rear

Also, check out (Some are similar to your car, but not your car)

http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?pageId=0900c15280218064

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/pontiac,2002,grand+prix,3.1l+v6,1382510,brake/wheel+hub,parking+brake+cable,1696

0900c15280218066.gif

Good Luck!

Hey Cutless350 thanks for the info however it does have to do with the parking brake lever my buddy literally grabbed the catch on the lever and it popped right out.... just wont release from pressing on it.   man i wish mine had a pull release LOL would make it a bit easier for me to figure out

If you car has the kind of brake where you have to push the pedal a couple times to apply, and then push again to release . .. 

you'll need to remove the pedal, clean all the old grease out of it and put new grease on it.  The old grease solidifies and makes all the mechanisms in there stick.

If you car has the kind of brake where you have to push the pedal a couple times to apply, and then push again to release . .. 

you'll need to remove the pedal, clean all the old grease out of it and put new grease on it.  The old grease solidifies and makes all the mechanisms in there stick.

Hmm that makes sense thanks for the info Heartbeat1991, What kind of lube should i use on it once cleaned?

Any grease you want.  Lithium grease.  Wheel bearing grease.  Petroleum jelly . ..  They's all kinds of grease . .   :dance:

Mine did this recently and it turned out the spring had come off on the parking brake assembly.  I had to figure out how it went on there and it works again.  It was between the assembly and kick panel so it is hard to see.

Mine did this recently and it turned out the spring had come off on the parking brake assembly.  I had to figure out how it went on there and it works again.  It was between the assembly and kick panel so it is hard to see.

thanks for the info Leedfoot, I went to local pull yard and got another park brake assembly hopefully will get it installed today

::::::::::::::::UPDATE:::::::::::::::::::::::::

First and foremost thanks guys for all the insight! What i actually did was go to local pull yard and pull parking brake assembly from donor car! About an hour's worth a work and my hand looking like i got into a fight with a cat, the Parking brake is now fully operational!