Rims and would anyone be interested in them?

Daermos

Ok so i literally have no clue what trims these are or if anyone would have interest in these or trading rims, To be honest not quite my cup of tee so i thought i would see. 

20160221_084909.jpg

Or is there anyway to make these look better?

Those are not rims.  Those are wheels.

In olden days, wheels were made of hubs, spokes, and rims.  Eventually, they began welding the parts together, or casting/forming  them in one piece.

I think we can generally assume we knew what he means.  No reason to be snarky.

OP, if I were you, I'd start a thread in the for sale section and see if someone is up for a trade.  Might get some more exposure there.

• Like 1

Those are not rims.  Those are wheels.

In olden days, wheels were made of hubs, spokes, and rims.  Eventually, they began welding the parts together, or casting/forming  them in one piece.

yes Schurkey, they are wheels.... Talking about the rims that the wheels/tires  are mounted to lol

yes Schurkey, they are wheels.... Talking about the rims that the wheels/tires  are mounted to lol

You must excuse Schurkey.  He just moved here from Transylvania and doesn't have any knowledge at all of the American language. :D

https://www.google.com/search?q=car+rims&tbm=isch

Or, as Dr Carson, Republican running for the Presidential nomination, would say "it's the fruit salad of their life". :)  No, no one has a clue what he means by that phrase. http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/25/politics/ben-carson-fruit-salad-supreme-court/

How are you going to trade rims without trading wheels?  The rims are formed integrally with the rest of the wheel.  You planning to cut the rims off of the wheel with a power-saw?  It's not like an old spoked bicycle or motorcycle wheel, where the rims can be removed by unscrewing all the spoke nuts, and pulling the rims off the spokes.

You must excuse Schurkey.  He just moved here from Transylvania and doesn't have any knowledge at all of the American language. :D

https://www.google.com/search?q=car+rims&tbm=isch

Google is wrong.  The photos they're showing in that link are of wheels.  A rim is a part of the wheel, formed to accept a tire, but a rim is not the whole wheel.

Tires are mounted to the wheel at the outside edge, which is the part of the wheel called the rim.  Tires are not a part of the wheel, except when the rubber is molded directly to the rest of the wheel--like on some lawnmowers, or baby buggies, or tricycles, or similar.  Clearly, that sort of wheel is not what's being discussed in the first post.  Neither are steering wheels, or flywheels.  We could also talk of wheels made from a round-ish block of granite, or a section of a tree-trunk, but this isn't 7,000 years ago.  Wheels have evolved with time and with application.

Just because a word is in common use, does not make that word choice correct.  The guy is selling/trading wheels, not just the rims.

Rims/wheels are somewhat synonymous anymore, but basically the rim is the edge of the wheel, and tires are just tires

Could not Agree More Psych0Matt!

My 02 GP has these wheels. They are ugly, but around my area, there are plenty of sets of wheels for sale on craigslist. You are probably better off just buying a set and having your tires swapped over

My 02 GP has these wheels. They are ugly, but around my area, there are plenty of sets of wheels for sale on craigslist. You are probably better off just buying a set and having your tires swapped over

Ah ok AL Thanks for the info, i have not seen to much as far as rims so far but not really sure what i should look For?

Double post. Had to change this one. Good job on the signature, Daermos!

Thanks GabsOlds Glad you like the signature took me a minute but there it be lol

Rims/wheels are somewhat synonymous anymore, but basically the rim is the edge of the wheel, and tires are just tires

Rims, wheels: A distinction without a difference for a long time. When I was a kid in the "60's, people called their "wheels"  by such names as "chrome reverse rims", Indy rims, Cragar rims. Contrary to a claim in a previous post,  linguists today do tend towards accepting popular use as accurate and acceptable. I agree with you Psych0Matt.  Probably first time anyone has used word "linguist" on this site. Well, we all bring a little something different to the table.

On another note, my wife has no idea how cars work and doesn't know a rim from a wheel, or a tire, or which combination signifies what. I could very easily tell her a tire is called a brake disc (oops, I mean rotor)  and she'd be fine with that.

Edited by Billyvannuys
  • Like 1

Jesus Christ, semantics :facepalm:

Op, that is a stock wheel for sure. I've usually seen them on GT's though. I thought ya'll referred to them as the ""snowflake" wheel, or is that another one?

a) "Snowflake' is a 77-79 Pontiac RWD wheel. Came in 13x6, 14x6, 15x7, and 15x8, it succeeded the "Honeycomb" which was a steel clad wheel. 5x4 3/4 aka 120.7 not to be confused with the 5x5 (127) which also had a 15x7 Snowflake. These have been repoped in 15 and 17 inch sizes.

b ) "Crosslace" looks similar but was a RWD (85-92) 15x7 and 16x8 & FWD 90-95 16x7 and 16x8. Some had a center piece that covered the lug nuts with a center screw and an arrowhead logo, later ones were open with a small cap that usually said "ABS".

c) not a clue what Olds did so the three spoke is probably a Cutlass wheel.

a) "Snowflake' is a 77-79 Pontiac RWD wheel. Came in 13x6, 14x6, 15x7, and 15x8, it succeeded the "Honeycomb" which was a steel clad wheel. 5x4 3/4 aka 120.7 not to be confused with the 5x5 (127) which also had a 15x7 Snowflake. These have been repoped in 15 and 17 inch sizes.

b ) "Crosslace" looks similar but was a RWD (85-92) 15x7 and 16x8 & FWD 90-95 16x7 and 16x8. Some had a center piece that covered the lug nuts with a center screw and an arrowhead logo, later ones were open with a small cap that usually said "ABS".

c) not a clue what Olds did so the three spoke is probably a Cutlass wheel.

Um wow ok Billy LOL

Thanks for the info Padget from what i have read they are stock Pontiac rims, Need to re check size but if i remember these are 16" 

For the record "rims" usually refer to aftermarket wheels and "alloy wheels" is the term usually used to denote stock wheels. Stupid thing I know but that's how most people refer to round object on which tires are mounted.

The most basic stock wheels are steel wheels, usually with hub caps. Very cheap for the manufacturer to include those with the car. Then the better equiped option of the same car, like the GTP, for example, comes with "aluminum alloy" wheels, "alloys" for short. Alloy means the base material has had other materials added to it to improve its properties. Aluminum on its own is very light, which is what we want, and soft, which would not be good for wheels. So, the pure aluminum is mixed with something else to make it stronger. Therefore all aluminum wheels are alloys, even the after market ones.