Newbie but not to W bodies

Padgett

Was recommended to this site  as a good place for a '93 GTP LQ1/284 (and if you understood that I've come to the right place).

Just bought one that is straight and rustfree (central Florida rust free that is, floorboards are smooth). Does need some cosmetics.

Did say I'd never buy another black car but never say never.

Have been around cars for a long time and from 1978 to 2012 was GM only but could not resist a tow car with a DOHC 6, 4 wheel disk brakes, all independent suspension and FI. Then the Fiero market dried up and bought a Crossfire (OHC-6) with a six speed. Chrysler made in Germany.

However that leaves the two Reattas (coupe and 'vert) and the '70 Judge (4-speed) and all have factory AC

So have the complete (two volumes and supplement) service manual coming but need a pair of grilles and a rebuild kit for the shifter (same as a Fiero ?) Any suggestions ?

post-9662-0-74928800-1455987022_thumb.jpg

post-9662-0-91263200-1455987031_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the board! Nice GP! You don't see many clean first gens these days. The 5 speed is just icing on the cake! Have any pictures of the Reattas? Almost bought one of those for my first car, but I got my Fiero instead..

Nice pick up, I saw that one floating around for sale for a while. As soon as it gets a little bit nicer out I think I have a spare set of grills that I could sell you. Welcome aboard, your car is nearly a twin of mine

That would be great and should be easy to ship. For me, this is the time of year that is nice and the "100 days of summer" just something we put up with. Is why all of my cars have factory AC and they work (well the GTP not yet but will - as soon as I can find the &^%$%^&% high and low ports to check it out. Not the easiest engine to work on).

BTW the plastic thingies on the spark plugs. Do you just pull out or is some twisting and ear wiggling required ? Rapidfire #14s are the same ones my Reattae use so have some and Fieros used a PF-52

Have the two volume plus supplement Factory Service Manual on order but won't get here until Friday. Am surprised, there seem to be a lot on eBay and not very expensive. Timing belt kit and new dogbone should arrive about the same time

Haven't put the GTP on the web site yet but can see the other cars - just click on my .sig (how do you get a <br> in the .sig to work ?).

ps "first gen" ? To me the first gen GP was a '62 (have had a '67 vert and a '70 four speed before but those were not W-bodies)

pps you may have it was on the Spacecoast Craigslist for a while. Pictures were not very good. I have bought and sold a number of cars & trailers on CL, just a matter of being very, very pickey & diligent but have the advantage of being localish (was about an hour and a half away)

The Bonneville was actually an H body (along with the LeSabre). The only Pontiac W was the 88+ Grand Prix.

I copied the chart from the Wikipedia page instead of trying to type out all the W cars on my phone...

1st Gen 107.5 in wheelbase

1988–1996 Buick Regal

1988–1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

1988–1996 Pontiac Grand Prix

1990–1994 Chevrolet Lumina

1.5 Gen 107.5 in wheelbase

1995–2001 Chevrolet Lumina

1995–1999 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

2nd Gen 109 in wheelbase

1997–2005 Buick Century

1997–2004 Buick Regal

1998–2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue

2nd Gen 110.5 in wheelbase

1997–2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

2000–2005 Chevrolet Impala

2000–2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

3rd gen 110.5 in wheelbase

2004–2008 Pontiac Grand Prix

2005–2009 Buick LaCrosse/Allure

2006–2016 Chevrolet Impala/Impala Limited[4][5]

2006–2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

I recognize that GTP, it was repeatedly on ebay listed by the widow of the owner who passed away a few years ago....he purchased the car in '96

she was asking a ridiculous price ($14,000 if memory serves) for it as she really didn't have a clue what it was really worth.

it is a NICE car

where'd the damage happen?

it was/is also here on cardomain.com

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2275383/1993-pontiac-grand-prix/photo-gallery/

That is the car but has gone far downhill since then, needs tires, headliner, respray (lots of rock chips in front) & polished to primer in places, leather drivers seat reupholstered, grilles (both are broken). And removal of the stereo (Kenwood with JVC remote CD player and subwoofer assembly (but not Bluetooth & have hundreds of albums on my cell phone), replace AC & many little things. Fortunately sale included the original crosslaced wheels (I like those wheels, have on my Reattae).

Was a daily driver for years and shows it but a lot of maintenance was done including timing belt replacement.

Price on CL was much lower and what I paid was close to KBB. Going to take a lot of work to bring back but think it is worth it.

Does not have everything: no HUD or DIC but looks very comfortable.

It is straight, rust free (and that is Central Florida rustfree not northern) and nearly all there. So it followed me home (on a dolly).

Nice car and welcome :thumbsup:

Quite a rare car you have, barely any 93's were made with a manual!

Not sure I would have ever picked those wheels but the car wears them alright.

You said the shifter needs rebuilt? As in the gear shift is all loose? That's pretty easy to fix

Welcome to the forum. Youre in the right place but to really be a member you gotta pick up at least 2 more W body cars. Hahaha just joking but a lot of us here have a bunch of em. PsychoMat has driven nothing but W since he had his license hahahaha.

I got 2 of em myself. Both LQ1 but stuck with a 4T60E. Theyre really nice cars to drive when you get em running good. Pain in the ass to work on em though.

Iirc the Fiero has a 282 and is related to the Cavalier and other J body cars as well as the Beretta, Grand Am, and Achieva. The 284 is red haired. It was built specifically for the LQ1. Other than that they're pretty much the same. Just minor but you gotta really make sure what interchanges. I know the linkage is different.

Well I have a rule never to have more cars than I can garage. Also have said before than am an enthusiast (and the difference with a collector is that each car has its own door (sometimes a double though). Sold a few so had an empty slot for this one.

Should mention that buying and selling is a somewhat traumatic experience for me so I tend to keep cars I like for decades. And next year can put it on my antique policy.

Must admit I was ready to walk on this one but had a slight arm twisting so have new tires ready to go on the original crosslaced 16x8s (I like those wheels & have never cared for lotsa spokes and fake split rims.).

Not a highly optioned GTP, no DIC, HUD or Sunroof. so my interest is the DOHC and 5-speed. Suspect the shifter/cables need new bushings but need to look at the FSM (arriving Friday).

Still need to know how to remove the spark plug wires. Do you just pull on the plastic piece or is there a twist lock of some sort.

And where are the AC ports (is this R12 or R134?) - if needs a compressor or evaporator will go 134 but need to see if it pulls a vacuum.

Finally I need to do something about the interior. I like a saddle interior but this "light beige" is more of a BS brown and needs to be deeper.

Radio in it is a Kenwood KDC-x889 that seems to have everything except Bluetooth (but does have an aux input and can work with that. Or would be interested in an original Delco with CD.

So not sure exactly how I am going with this, will probably go back to stock (or at least what was available then - would like a HUD (but suspect that would require the whole dash pad) and DIC.

Thank you, is what I needed to know. This has got to be the most crowded engine compartment I've ever seen. Not sure of the wisdom of putting the coolant reservoir over the battery but needs must I guess.

BTW have the original 16x8 wheels and 225x60x16s on now. Certainly fills the wheel well better and always like to have a wider wheel than tread.

post-9662-0-53516300-1456187552_thumb.jpg