New Member- Need advice on W Bodies

Carlover0529

Hello! I'm new here. 15, from Michigan, looking for my first car. I need help.

I've always had a love for 8th gen W-bodies. My driver's ed car was a 2005 Impala base model in burgundy and that's made me rekindle my love for W's. I have a series of questions I'd like answered.

What are the differences in feel and quality between 8 gen Impala base and LS'?

Is insurance expensive on these? 3400 vs 3800?

3400 or 3800? Which one is better? Why?

What are pros and cons of the Olds Intrigue, 97-03 Grand Prix sedan, 00-05 Impala (Base and LS only), and Buick Regal?

Which of these would be best for a teenager (thinking of factors; Easy to drive & park, comfort, mileage, reliability)?

Are there any common problems each of these have?

Thank you. It's nice to become part of the W forum family!

When you start looking at reliability and what would be best for a person your age, the Impala/GP/Regal all sort of fall in line together and you would want to make your decision based on finding a car in good shape(not rusty, beat up, look for good maintenance practicies, etc) and what features/designs you like better.  As far as the 3400/3800, you can't go wrong with either.  They both have their issues, but even with average maintenance practices..you should be set and either will be plenty reliable. Really, it comes down to power.  3800 has more obviously.

I've had every 00+ W minus the Intrigue(didn't like the styling, or the 3.5 DOHC), and I liked my Grand Prix GT the best.  It looked the best(most sporty), and had the best options/features.  Heads up Display, a nice driver's info center, red lighted dash, sunroof that opened back outside of the car (an odd thing to like, but I thought it added to the look of the car).  I wish I had the supercharged 3800 in mine, but even with just the regular 3800 it was a nice car.  Unfortunately, it was not taken care of in it's previous life so I had to deal with a lot of B.S. issues down the road.  The Impala LS my dad had was nice, but I never liked the feel of the leather seats.  They felt too stiff to me.  My Regal GS has been the most reliable car I've owned, thanks to a detailed history I got with the car.  180k+ on the original drivetrain and still going.  The seats are the most comfortable in my opinion, good styling.  I do not like the off-green dash lights, however. And it has had the highest number of stupid, nick-nack things go wrong.. like window motors, digital odometer and dash lights going out, misc plastic trim cracking and breaking..

Welcome!  Aside from that rambling I just did, start doing some casual shopping if you can.  Look at models, mileage, options, and pricing to start educating yourself a bit.  And browsing here always helps too.

I had an 06 Monte Carlo for about 5 years, and it was a great car. Got great gas mileage, had a rock solid engine that never gave me one single problem, and was the best looking 3rd gen IMHO... Would still have it if we weren't growing our family and 2 doors being kind of impractical...

Just to talk semantics, there is no 8th gen W car, I'm assuming you just mean the 8th gen Impala.  Which is the 2G of W-body.

I detest the interior in the 2000-2005 Impala.  One of the ugliest, blandest designs possible so it's an automatic out for me.  Also, the steering wheel is terrible.

The Intrigues in fully decked out GLS form are okay in my book. There's nothing inherently wrong with the Shortstar, and I'd take it over an L36 (NA 3800) in the excitement department, but parts for it are less common and probably more expensive if they do break.

I would never own another 97-04 Regal. Way too bland and grandpa-spec, even in GS form.  I spent years trying to make it a Grand Prix when I should have just bought one in the first place. As Matt said, you will be spending a lot of time resoldering HVAC headunits and odometer resistors because all the displays go out.  Good electronics training, I suppose.  Also, you will become an expert at fixing cup holders.

Absolutely loved my '97 GTP.  Great car, and I'd still own it if it hadn't turned into such a rotbox.  The interior is plastic fantastic, but I think it's the sharpest and best looking of all the 2nd gen W cars hands down.  Along the road they began cheapening them out, though, taking away options here and there.  IMHO, the perfect year for GT/GTP (because the SE sucks and the 3100 is fuck all slow) is 2000.

3400 vs 3800, I dunno.  I've owned both.  No matter which way you go, you're going to be replacing the intake manifold gaskets as soon as you get it.  That being said, for longevity, I'd probably pick the 3800 vs any of the Gen 3 60 Degrees.  I have used and abused multiple high mileage 3800s and they are insanely stout.  Just make sure to replace the damn intake gaskets.