Installing HID's

tonytoca_87

Hello everyone. Anyone have any luck installing HID'S in there cutlass. I was told the bulbs can not be replaced so how would I be able to install a hid kit if this is true? Thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I assume you're talking about the coupe lights...

Those are "sealed beam" lights, although they are not your standard square or circle lights. They're actually 9006 bulbs glued into a glass housing. If you pry them off, you can get them out and glue in the HID bulb in place of the normal bulb. That's the way you do this.

I have HIDs in my Cutlass.

• Like 1

There are also some on the shelf at AZ that mimic the HID look but do not require the resistor or any sort of modification other than DE-sealing the sealed beams. They come in the plastic case vs the paper package and IIRC its about $45 for a pair of them.

I thought about installing them but I want to keep the traditional glow from the halogens on my Cutlass. GTP gets the LED look.

I appreciate your help. I'm going to try it on my 95 vert. Thanks bro

I assume you're talking about the coupe lights...

Those are "sealed beam" lights, although they are not your standard square or circle lights. They're actually 9006 bulbs glued into a glass housing. If you pry them off, you can get them out and glue in the HID bulb in place of the normal bulb. That's the way you do this.

I have HIDs in my Cutlass.

• Like 1

Cool appreciate your time and help.

There are also some on the shelf at AZ that mimic the HID look but do not require the resistor or any sort of modification other than DE-sealing the sealed beams. They come in the plastic case vs the paper package and IIRC its about $45 for a pair of them.

I thought about installing them but I want to keep the traditional glow from the halogens on my Cutlass. GTP gets the LED look.

HID kits don't require resistors though, those are LED bulbs. HID kits are usually plug and play, it's the housing that's not made for HID, not the wiring but you can run HID kits without modifying the housing, it just borders the line of illegal (since the beam pattern on HID bulbs are different from halogen ones). It works with the miniquads because they're so small that the beam pattern is insignificant with them. Yes if they're aimed improperly you'll blind other drivers, but they're not like other housings in which no amount of adjustment will fix the issue or better said, no matter what you do you'll get pulled over for having bright lights on (people that get pulled over for it usually get cited for driving with their high beams on, not running improper bulb types).

could pop the headlights apart and install a cutoff shield and put a clear plastic lens in place of the fluted glass one, that should prevent any stray light from going where it shouldn't. without a lens in front of the bulb, may have to make a foreground limiter as well, but I'm not 100% on that.

• 2 weeks later...

What's the dimensions on the housings? Morimoto has a pretty small bi-xenon projector that could possibly be retrofitted in.

If you're putting in HIDs, might as well do it right, if you can.

??..

4351/4352 rectangular glass sealed beam

the closest item I've come across as an upgrade that uses removable bulbs is this.......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-1997-CHEVY-CHEVROLET-CAMARO-EURO-CRYSTAL-CLEAR-HEADLIGHTS-WIRINGS-BULBS/311519744362?_trksid=p2047675.c100013.m1986&_trkparms=aid%3D333008%26algo%3DRIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131223115610%26meid%3D8c20b243f31c43a9bc11a9cb28991b1f%26pid%3D100013%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D27%26sd%3D311165394274

the lenses appear to be a projector style which would be useful where an hid bulb is used....

i have morimoto mini h1 (knockoffs) for the MC headlamps, I'm fairly certain they won't fit in a miniquad headlamp.... I have been suggested to look into "matchbox" projectors for the miniquad housings, but I didn't go too far down that path since I was concentrating on the MC stuff.

^^ those mori minis are 2.5" lens projectors BTW.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-Motorcycle-Headlight-2-0-inch-Bi-Xenon-HID-Projector-Lens-Kit-with-LED/1670473237.html?spm=2114.40010208.4.140.uIj9Sr

here are some 2.0" units which MIGHT fit in the miniquad housings, especially if the shroud were left off(or at least trimmed), would have to find dimensions on it to be certain though.

??..

4351/4352 rectangular glass sealed beam

the closest item I've come across as an upgrade that uses removable bulbs is this.......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-1997-CHEVY-CHEVROLET-CAMARO-EURO-CRYSTAL-CLEAR-HEADLIGHTS-WIRINGS-BULBS/311519744362?_trksid=p2047675.c100013.m1986&_trkparms=aid%3D333008%26algo%3DRIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131223115610%26meid%3D8c20b243f31c43a9bc11a9cb28991b1f%26pid%3D100013%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D27%26sd%3D311165394274

the lenses appear to be a projector style which would be useful where an hid bulb is used....

Too bad those would be plastic instead of glass. Although at $150, it gives me ideas to make the Cutlass more badass. I have this idea specifically with the inner turn signal that I want to do (basically clear it out). I was going to use the glass from the low beam sealed beam but this may be a better idea.

Only thing is that this isn't a projector style, it simply has a shroud/cap on it which would help with the less desired effect of HIDs. The cap/shroud is what certain cars have which help dim out the HID a bit.

i have morimoto mini h1 (knockoffs) for the MC headlamps, I'm fairly certain they won't fit in a miniquad headlamp.... I have been suggested to look into "matchbox" projectors for the miniquad housings, but I didn't go too far down that path since I was concentrating on the MC stuff.

Matchbox projectors is what people say will fit. In fact someone on a Camaro forum does this for $600.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/chevrolet-camaro-1967-2002/1502572-blackbird-lighting-solutions-bls-93-97-camaro-proj-headlight-retro-intro-gp.html

• 2 years later...

I just bought set of HID from diode dynamics. Hoping these work well. Is the scatter typically different on HID and halogen?

I know it's been a while, but how did these turn out? 

I've had numerous sets from hidlook.com. For the most part they live a long life but there have been a couple ballasts that failed prematurely. Keep in mind I've had a bunch of sets though so nothing I wouldn't consider acceptable losses. There's a thread here where I compared them to halogen with a lux meter.