Broken Door Handle....

IGotMeSomeCutty

Well, Ive had my first for awhile now and from what I understand it won't be my last.

I was about to order a new one, then backed off and figured I'm just going to fix this one.

Task...

Remove, Blast, Weld, Paint and Install

Task 1, Complete!

9a644b5c424f0aec305501a39d84e5b9.jpg

Sent from my E500A using Tapatalk

It will be mig welded

I never wanted to try because I didn't think the cast metal would weld. I had considered brazing...

I am no professional welder, lol

I'm not one either, I know how to do the task but the "laws" of it are learned from trail and error. If it doesn't go as planned, I'm not out of anything. I'm doing it on the clock and everything is supplied.

I think there's something about preheating when you're going to weld cast. It might be worth doing a little bit of research first, It'd be really cool if somebody on the forum can fix the damn things

I have never held a 2-door door handle in my hand.  Very possible I'm wrong...but...is the broken part even ferrous?

The four-door door handles are not made of iron, or steel.  If they were, they wouldn't be so prone to breakage.

Do you have aluminum wire in that MIG?

I have yet to get that far ready. I honestly didn't think I'd have had the time to even blast it today. But, yes we have aluminum wire, if not I'll ask our welder to TIG it or whatever he suggest is the best route. I was going MIG cause I can do that, and since its thin(IMO) I am more comfortable.

I don't have a magnet with me, so I can't say what metal it is. Blasted stainless, steel, aluminium looks the same to me.

I'm a line valve, relief valve, control valve tech, trail and error is how I've learned to weld and fit haha

I think there's something about preheating when you're going to weld cast. It might be worth doing a little bit of research first, It'd be really cool if somebody on the forum can fix the damn things

Preheating pertains to cast iron, sadly I believe the door handles are made of pot metal and not sure it can be welded, but like you say, you're not out anything. Who knows you may school us all. Good luck.

It would be nice to make some out of billet aluminum, maybe polished, oh yeah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my wood stove has a cast iron door.... one of the hinge ears got knocked off at some point, I brought it over to my father since he's a hell of a lot more skilled with weird welding situations than I am and that door/weld area has held up really well considering what it has been through.

that being said...... not knowing the composition of the door handle is going to be a complication.

EDIT: suggestion from old welding guys: if you don't know the composition, you could always find another broken piece and melt it down into a filler rod to be used with an arc welder. not sure what kind of flux you would need though.

Edited by RobertISaar

This one is aluminum, I'm waiting on our welder to show up so I can ask if hell TIG it. Our MIG left last night for a 2 week job in Texas :/

TIG would be better anyway. Lowes sells an aluminium brazing rod (mapp or hotter) That I have had really good luck with, I would probably find some aluminum to scab along the side of it though