Rough Idle, misfire and high idling issues

wlkstout

Schurkey. Which one do you use on an OBD1 vehicle? I have only been able to find the blinking light ones and none that read info on them. I do have an obd2 scanner i use on my other vehicles to monitor data but it is not capable of reading OBD1.

Any of the major brands will do, most scanners will read both systems provided you have the needed cable hardware for OBD1 and the necessary cartridges.

OTC Pathfinder series Genisys series

Snap-on Ethos

Matco determinator

Mine is an ancient Snap-On "Red Brick" MTG2500.  This is the same--and uses the same software--as the more-common MT2500, except that it has an additional Graphing function.

MT2500 that I sold several years ago.  I think I got $250 or so for it, had software suitable for domestic engine, transmission, and ABS '81--'01. (No Asian, no European support.)

Snap_On_MT2500_01.jpg

Snap_On_MT2500_03.jpg

Snap_On_MT2500_06.jpg

Red Bricks with software and adapter harnesses are available on eBay all the time.  Price varies greatly with the software package included, and with the number of vehicle adapters included.  Software new enough to diagnose '99 and older is very inexpensive.  Prices for bricks + software for newer-than-'99 increases considerably.

Snap-On support for the Red Bricks ended years ago.  The newest software for them is 2009.  The Solus replaced the Red Brick, and now Snap-On has quit supporting the Solus.  They may still support the Solus Pro, and Solus Ultra.

My points are:

1.  I would rather have "used" professional-level tools than brand-new consumer-grade tools; and

2.  Once the product has no factory support, the prices come down because it's not suitable for in-shop use except perhaps as a supplement to the more-modern scan tools.  Bargains exist!

3.  On the down-side, once factory support ends, if you have a problem with your tool...you're pretty-much S-O-L.

Oh, yeah--Don't confuse a "code reader" (junk) with a true "scan tool".  A scan tool allows you to access the data stream; and may include a method to activate certain soleoids or actuators from the tool, so you can verify the solenoids/actuators work.  A scan tool can be used to read codes and lots more, but a code-reader cannot be used for anything beyond code-reading.

Great thread, thanks for keeping us updated wlk.

I‘ve seen these things on youtube and whatnot. Curious to know what‘s inside these red bricks. Are schematics available? Pictures of the boards?

There are the means to connect laptops to a car‘s computer. Don‘t know a thing about this stuff, but need to learn.

• 3 months later...