Restart Convertible sitting for 3 years

beachbons

Hello, All.  I have a 1995 'vert with 145K miles.  My wife used it as daily driver from 2001, when I purchased it from my uncle the original owner, until 2009 when I parked it in my garage.  From 2009 to 2012 I started it up ocassionaly, maybe once every couple of months.  I stopped in 2012 when the battery went dead at which time I put Sta-bil in the tank.

I want to get it running for a Sunday-driver or to possibly sell it and I'd like to find out what steps to take to re-start without causing damage.

I really like the car, but, my wife hates the "leaks".  It has a newer top, installed in 2007, but the weatherstripping has alot of gaps.

Thanks

Greg

Change the oil, check all fluids, check all the wiring.

My 94 vert did a lot of sitting the last 3 years I have owned it and it always starts right up.

If you really want to pull the plugs and put a bit of oil on the pistons

Put a tablespoon or two of Marvel mystery oil in each cylinder to pre-lube them. It`ll smoke for a bit but it wont cause as much wear as just a dry, cold start would. Or you can disconnect the battery and manually turn the engine a few times to get the oil through the lifters. Or do both, then drop half a can of seafoam in the oil, drive for about 50-100 miles then change it.

Don't forget to open up the airbox to be sure the filter has not turned into a rodent home of shreds. Also, I second pre-lubing the cyl. walls, followed by cranking the engine over with the plugs out to be safe with the bearings.