Leaf Spring isolator pads

cutlass1393

I am going to be changing my rear struts on my 93 Cutlass and I figured this would be the prime time to change the isolator pads. Now, my rubber ones are fine and i wanted to just change them since im gonna have it all apart, do i use the plastic blocks in conjuction with the rubber pads or do I remove the rubber pads and use the plastic blocks? Or do I just use the rubbers with no blocks? Do the blocks take place of the rubbers? I am so stumped on what to do.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

You don't need both.  Just replace the old rubber pads with new rubber pads, or you can just use the blocks.  I think the pads would be better since that's the way the car was designed, and there have been reports of the blocks wearing on the ends of the leaf spring.

I just recently had the plastic blocks installed on my 92 Cutlass because there was not one trace of rubber pad ever being on the leaf spring ends.  I had a lot of clunking noise coming from the rear, so I replaced the rear struts because one of those was bad anyway.  With new struts installed, the clunking was exactly the same with no change.  Got the new blocks installed, and I have been clunk free.

I am happy with the plastic block insulators on my Cutlass.  I do think the rubber pads might dampen tire noise better than the blocks, but with good quality tires that are not over inflated I don't think it matters much.

I read that you are going to change your struts too.  I don't know if you know this or not.  The long bolt that comes with the rear struts is used for the auxiliary spring dampener.  It's a big chunk of rubber that sits beside the lower strut.  Make sure to use that bolt on the dampener, or it will be a pain to put it all back together.

How do the plastic ones install? Does the leaf spring sit on top of the smooth side; and the tabs on either side just hold it in place? Is it gonna hurt anything to just put the plastic ones in and leave the rubber ones on? (cause they r a bitch to get off after sitting on there for 23 years, lol) ( they r pretty smashed down, but still good) Is that gonna put extra stress on the leaf spring and will it increase my ride height? I know these w bodies naturally sag in the rear.

Thanks Snippits, is there any good way to get the rubber off the spring without scratching it or damaging it? I know they are on there with some heavy duty adhesive.

I would use 3M adhesive remover with a plastic throw away putty knife and elbow grease.  You can get it in liquid too.  The plastic putty knives are .57 each at my local Walmart.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002NUO6K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Allway-Plastic-Putty-Knife-1.5/36108517

You can try some Goof Off sold at Walmart and Lowes, and it's cheaper than the 3M stuff.  Never used Goof Off myself, but I have heard good things about it.