Factory Sunroof installation?

Imp558

Well, I spent some time in her SSEI and have fallen in love with the Moonroof.

I remember last year on my way to a Toledo meet I saw a Regal with the factory one (Pull-A-Part) and on my way home I stopped again and someone had cut a huge hole in the roof and taken it.

Now I'm wondering if I can cut one off in a yard and transplant it in?

Does anybody know how different the structure of the roof is on the cars that came equipped? I'm assuming you guys who have done the headliner know if there are provisions for it or not.

My buddy who owns a body shop says there's no way in hell to do it, I just love when people say that.

I would think it's possible, but I think the biggest pain would be getting it to look good on the outside afterward without a crap ton of filler. I love having it in my GTP and would love to have it in the 04, but I don't think adding one would be worth the risk/effort IMO

Its been done before. That said, i'm sure its not easy. I almost did it years back on my old z34,

Basically you have to unskin, drill out a bunch of spot welds, and start the cars top over again.

Long story short a aftermarket is WAYYYYYY easier.

I dunno, I'm going to look at the inside of it when I do the headliner. It would be interesting how it would have been installed by an approved custom place on a new car.

I recall a guy with a buick century on the Regal forums (who was a body man) too an entire roof off a regal and swapped it onto his century, since the bodies are the same. I believe he removed the windows, then popped the spot welds in the pillars and removed one and dropped the other in. haven't been able to find the link again though.

As stated, an aftermarket one is probably the easier solution, but you may be able to make the factory headliner and switch work if they are similar in size.

• 2 months later...

Last trip to the yard I pulled the headliner from a Regal, there was a bracing system that was like held on with seam sealer and pinched between bracing along the outside and the roof skin. I think it's just a matter of cutting through that seam sealer and taking all the bracing that goes to the sunroof frame.

• 5 months later...

I would say pull the glass and swap the whole roof if going oem route. But aftermarket with a custom headliner is much less headache

Sent from my 2012 Buick Regal GS

My 92 z34 has an aftermarket hollandia sunroof from 1993, and it's more reliable than my oem grand prix sunroof, and quieter.

Sent from my 2012 Buick Regal GS

• 2 months later...

Actually there's a guy on YouTube taking factory a sunroof out in the junkyard and putting them older cars. MB Customs. He shows how he does it. So it's far from impossible. In fact he's put 2 on 1 car- front and back.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Some guy on here did it years ago in a 1G Regal coupe. I can't think of what his name was.  I'd just have an aftermarket installed unless I was already doing major bodywork and paint to the car.

• 3 months later...